ported Force 125

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have four hours on my fresh rebuild. Still running 25 to 1 fuel and I'm fouling plugs when I throw the throttle down. I'm not sure whether it's the rich mixture or weak ignition. Here are a couple of pics of the bypass ports. Any advice from those who have been down this road will be graciously accepted. :confused:
IMG_5001.jpgIMG_5002.jpgIMG_5004.jpgIMG_5005.jpg

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: ported Force 125

Wait until after you break it in and you switch to 50:1 mixture before you check the plugs.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Good port work for a first try. Tops are all uniform and webs are decent.

I did have an ulterior motive in the PM asking you to post a couple of photos: I wanted to see if the ports were sloppy, not uniform and generally poor workmanship. Your port work should not cause any running problems.

With the intermittent miss and loss of power you described, I would first suspect the ignition system. The first thing to do is to check all grounds. Since the electronics plate is insulated from the engine by the rubber mountings the single ground running from the plate to the bypass cover bolt is important for proper operation. I personally don't trust such a small ground and the coils and CD boxes depending upon their mounting bolts to ground them to the plate. I prefer to run a "daisy chain" ground wire from each coil and CD box back to the ground terminal on the engine block terminal strip.

If grounds are proven good and you still have the problems, then it is time to check the stator and trigger wires for breaks that movement of the throttle could cause to lose continuity.

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the thumbs up on my porting work. You may have something there regarding ground connections. Wanting the motor to shine like the rest of the boat I painted the ignition plate before I assembled it. I took sandpaper to the mounting holes but I like the daisy chain idea. My boating days are numbered here in the northeast. I really want to solve this so I'm not thinking about it all winter.

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I have this figured out. The first thing I bought for my restoration project was a new Moeller gas tank with an EPA approved gas cap. I used all 5/16" fuel line and after some research I believe the gas cap is restricting the fuel. Moeller sent me a new cap and the new one is deffinatly less restrictive. I also have an older cap. The weather looks good for this weekend. :D

IMG_5539.jpg

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Success. I put an old school gas cap on it and ran it for over an hour with no problems. Here is a quick video. I used the first track off my last CD for a backing track but boosted the audio on the motor shots so you could hear how she runs. I'm not pushing it too hard yet, but it seems to be flawless at this point. Thanks to everyone for your help. :joyous:

medium - YouTube