Portable Boat Jams

Badfish95

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My beloved "Jambox" finally died on me after 7 years of dedicated service. It was made by Bacini Acoustica and had all the qualities I look for in a portable speaker. https://www.google.com/search?q=bac...AQ&biw=320&bih=416#biv=i|14;d|hDOpW5i0NPWAKM:
It sounded great, was rechargeable, water resitant and was loud enough for outdoor parties/gatherings/etc. Of course, this product is no longer produced.

A portable radio makes perfect sense for the boat. Here's just a few reasons why:

1. No reason to run down the boats battery while sitting in the cove, sand bar, etc. I can't be the only one that has left the radio on a came back to a boat that won't turn over.

2. Most boat stereos point toward the inside of the boat. This is fine until you get in the water. Then you practically have to max it out to hear it and even then it sounds muffled. A portable radio aimed off the rear of the boat sounds crisp and clear.(disregard this one wake board tower guys, oh and stop blasting the techno crap nobody wants to hear it.,LOL)

3. When its time to go back to the campground, lake house, dock, tailgate, etc the good times don't have to end.

I did a lengthy search for the best Marine grade portable stereo and decided on the Bosch Power Box 360 Deluxe. PB360D Power Box.

There are some drawbacks like size and weight but this radio had this best mix of must haves that I could find.

Does anyone have any contenders to throw in the mix?

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Portable Boat Jams

As a Sirius-XM subscriber, my portable satellite receiver/transmitter in the car transmits to the stereo's receiver. In other words, it's not hardwired. I set the Sirius receiver to one of several frequencies, 88.7, for example, and it transmits on that frequency.

Then, for special "events" where I want tons more wattage than my in-dash stereo will provide, I use a portable boom box in the back of the car for extra volume. AND I've had situations when camping where I put a portable on a picnic table, and people camping next to me did the same thing tuned to the same frequency, and it was seamless music walking from campsite to campsite. Like DISNEYWORLD!

You could get the same effect anchoring a little off-shore, while getting the same signal on-shore.

I'm a HUGE fan of satellite radio because of the incredible, NO COMMERCIALS selection of music. And it's satellite:

Doesn't matter where you are--you get perfect reception of hundreds of channels.

That unit you posted looks awesome though, but I didn't see a price.

Badfish95

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Portable Boat Jams

I picked one up for $220+tax. It's sirius ready too! I guess they made it before the sirius xm merger so you need the older style receiver, but its still a nice feature. I like using Pandora. It's nice to not have to babysit the iPod.

The biggest feature for me is that it runs of rechargeable battery packs. Many if the other radios used 6-12 D batteries. That would get costly if used unplugged a lot. The altec Lansing Mix came in a close second for this reason.