Popular Mechanics 1962 PM38 Build [SPLASHED 2017]

thomas15

Seaman Apprentice
She is a beauty!

And to think it all started with cutting out that first piece of wood, making that first glue joint, actually putting that idea that maybe you could build yourself a boat into motion. You have done well.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks everyone for all the kind words! They are greatly appreciated!

archbuilder I am very curious myself! The missing engine part should arrive tomorrow so I'm hoping to go for a test run this weekend. I will report back how she does. I have seen varying reports from a few other builders.

thomas15, thank you! Yeah, that is how it all started for sure. :lol: And I had decided early on to not buy all the lumber at once just in case I discovered I had gotten in over my head. But as I went along I just kept needing more lumber and here we are! At times I look back at that picture of the lonely transom to remind myself.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Something has been nagging at me since I started hooking up the control wires to the motor. And today I realized what it was. The throttle wire is operating backwards compared to the motor. So when the handle is in idle position, the carb is wide open. The wire pulls the arm from full to idle rather than pushing the wire from idle to full. Is it possible to change that in the control box? I have a Quicksilver Commander 2000 box.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Something has been nagging at me since I started hooking up the control wires to the motor. And today I realized what it was. The throttle wire is operating backwards compared to the motor. So when the handle is in idle position, the carb is wide open. The wire pulls the arm from full to idle rather than pushing the wire from idle to full. Is it possible to change that in the control box? I have a Quicksilver Commander 2000 box.

Hmm, after some more googling it seems my controller has the "pull throttle" parts inside. There seems to be a part to replace that turns it into a push throttle. Does anyone have any experience with this?

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, so this really isn't a big issue and since I ran into it, perhaps someone else will too. So I'll share my findings here in the event I can save time for someone else having the same issue.

Basically, in my Quicksilver Commander 2000 I have the 850723A2 Plate/Stud assembly which makes it a Pull Throttle. The older part number for this is 16893A 1. In order to make this a Push Throttle that assembly needs to be replaced with 850724A2 or its older number 16894A 2.

Here is a pictures of the innards of my box with 850723A2 Pull Throttle:
PM38_PullThrottle_01.jpg

Here is a picture of the 850724A2 part for a Push Throttle:
850724A2.jpg

Note the arm connecting the other two parts. It is in the lower hole of the arm versus the upper whole on 850723A2.

It looks to be a fairly simple task to swap the parts out in the box.

Hope this helps someone else down the road.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ok, so this really isn't a big issue and since I ran into it, perhaps someone else will too. So I'll share my findings here in the event I can save time for someone else having the same issue.

Basically, in my Quicksilver Commander 2000 I have the 850723A2 Plate/Stud assembly which makes it a Push Throttle. The older part number for this is 16893A 1. In order to make this a Pull Throttle that assembly needs to be replaced with 850724A2 or its older number 16894A 2.

Here is a pictures of the innards of my box with 850723A2 Pull Throttle:

Here is a picture of the 850724A2 part for a Push Throttle:

Note the arm connecting the other two parts. It is in the lower hole of the arm versus the upper whole on 850723A2.

It looks to be a fairly simple task to swap the parts out in the box.

Hope this helps someone else down the road.

It sure is crowed in that control unit. Knowing how I am, I would have to completely disassembly that , clean it all out, and reinstall everything in a less crowded fashion. Especially all the wires. Looks like a lot of them could be cut back and made to fit nicer. But that is just me. If it works for you, go for it. JMHO

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
It sure is crowed in that control unit. Knowing how I am, I would have to completely disassembly that , clean it all out, and reinstall everything in a less crowded fashion. Especially all the wires. Looks like a lot of them could be cut back and made to fit nicer. But that is just me. If it works for you, go for it. JMHO

Yeah, it could use a nice cleaning for sure. But I'm not going to worry too much about it at this point. I may do that as a winter project down the road, who knows.

I did want to point out that iBoats carries 850724A2 if someone is looking for it. :)

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
So since I'll need to grease this new assembly when I install it, what products would y'all recommend for this? Is something like Super Lube from Home Depot a suitable product for this type of thing?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Actually most any type lube would work being how it is neither high speed or a heat effected issue. So anything that lubes it for a smooth operation would do in my thinking. I mean it only gets used for shifting and throttle control. There can't be some specially made grease only for that....could there? :noidea:

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Actually most any type lube would work being how it is neither high speed or a heat effected issue. So anything that lubes it for a smooth operation would do in my thinking. I mean it only gets used for shifting and throttle control. There can't be some specially made grease only for that....could there? :noidea:

I was just curious to see what was being used by more experienced folks than myself. :lol: I agree that this application doesn't seem to call for anything in particular but if someone recommended a product I'd likely give it a try.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I was just curious to see what was being used by more experienced folks than myself. :lol: I agree that this application doesn't seem to call for anything in particular but if someone recommended a product I'd likely give it a try.

pek, I totally understand what you are saying. And who knows there is probably some special grease just for such things. :noidea: But regardless the cost, I won't be buying any. I will use whatever I have on hand and the easiest to get to. And for the reasons I previously stated. So I am not trying to make fun of you for asking that question. But merely stating I personally will use any type grease and never worry about it again. But again that is just MY personal opinion! :eek:

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would clean it good with carb cleaner or engine degreaser. The old grease can degrade or coagilate as well as attract dirt and metal fillings from the many years of use. Cleaning it then re-greasing will give you the smoothest operation going forward. White lithium is usually my go to but whatever you use, make sure it's safe for metal, aluminium, wiring, and plastic if there are any plastic bushings and whatnot in there.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Alright, got the part today for the throttle conversion. It was pretty easy to swap it out and it worked great. I did have problems with the fast-idle handle afterwards. It wasn't working anymore. After studying the diagram of the control box for a bit I realized the disc that the fast-idle handle is attached to needed to be rotated 180 degrees. After that it worked great. So now I have a fully working push throttle. I did crank the motor with the water hose attached and had to adjust the idle and low speed mixture slightly. Otherwise it wouldn't idle very well. So now she's ready for the lake! But the weather wasn't cooperating when I was done. We had a thunderstorm move in. Maybe I'll have some time tomorrow morning.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, another success story. That is always great to hear about. Hope the weather cooperates and you get to try it all out. :thumb:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
She's a Beaut!!!

She's in the water sooooo...

iBoatsSplash.jpg