Popular Mechanics 1962 PM38 Build [SPLASHED 2017]

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you. I see they are still in business. They built some nice looking boats.
I always liked the lines and styling of Scandenavian boats. That's probably because that area had such an influence on the Jersey shore boats, where I grew up. (Names like Olsen, Ulrichsen and Pedersen)

There are quite a few nice old boats still floating around the west coast of Sweden. The one in the picture is still alive and well too. My parents sold her several years ago when she became too much work for them. She still looks like a piece of furniture with all that mahogany showing. We owned her for about 30 years and my dad did really well in keeping her up. I remember many long and cold winter weekend out working on the boat to get her ready for the summer. The new owner has had her at several boat shows and takes very good care of her as well.

I'm not familiar with the names you mentioned. I'll have to look them up and educate myself. :happy:

Ned L

Commander
It's nice to hear your family boat is doing well, that must be very satisfying for your family.

If you google those names (Andy Ulrichsen sea skiffs, Ole Olsen sea skiffs, Hans Pedersen and sons sea skiffs) you will find mostly things that Ihave posted - relating to the history of lapstrake boat building and the boat builders of the Jersey shore. A long history there, and a good bit from Scandanavian origins.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

And we're off! Started working on the first coat of primer on the inside last night. It was a bit harder than I had expected with all those angles and corners everywhere. I'm going to finish it Saturday and then, while the last areas are drying, start cutting out the foredeck sections. I think I'm starting to make out the finish line out there in the distance...

Attachments

• photo249816.jpg
    photo249816.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 0

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Got the coat of bilge paint on today. Turned out pretty nice and covered very well. It took much longer than I had planned for, and I was quite tired after climbing around, bending over the boat and being out in the heat. So no work on the deck today. Maybe tomorrow for a bit but it may have to wait longer... That paint sure does smell!

Attachments

• photo249984.jpg
    photo249984.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo249985.jpg
    photo249985.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1

Ned L

Commander
She looks great! Painting over and around all that framing would be pretty tedious and time consuming.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to say, it is looking very nice. I am silently following along. :thumb:

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

So I did have some time for the boat Sunday as well. Managed to cut out the fore deck and try it out. It still needs to be primed and bilge coated on the inside before I permanently attach it. There are just some screws holding it in place for now. Same with the side decking. I also ran out of screws so there will be a trip to the hardware store this week at some point. I did discover that I wasn't thinking it through quite all the way when I trimmed the top edge of the side plywood. I don't have enough material to change the angle so the decking plywood lays flat against the sheer rail. I can still screw it down nice and secure though. So I'm thinking I'll fill in with glue/sawdust mix or wood filler and should still be able to make it look ok. We'll see. I've also been waiting for this moment to set the wind shield on it to see how it will fit. When I purchased it, I wasn't 100% sure how wide it needed to be. I was just going by what I had on the plans. Turns out it will fit nicely so I'm happy with that. Funny how her lines keep changing... I think she's going to look pretty sleek on the water.

Attachments

• photo250080.jpg
    photo250080.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo250081.jpg
    photo250081.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo250082.jpg
    photo250082.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 2
  • photo250083.jpg
    photo250083.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 2

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Looks nice! Where did you buy the windshield?

Thanks. I'm quite happy with the way she's turning out. I was searching out on the internet a while back and came across a posting on eBay. The seller seemed to have several with varying sizes. I was quite happy to be able to get one since it matches what they had on the original prototype back in 1962. :D

gm280

Supreme Mariner
pekstrom, looks really nice, I can't wait to see the finished product now. :thumb: :thumb:

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Got the coat of bilge paint on today. Turned out pretty nice and covered very well. It took much longer than I had planned for, and I was quite tired after climbing around, bending over the boat and being out in the heat. So no work on the deck today. Maybe tomorrow for a bit but it may have to wait longer... That paint sure does smell!

I used red lead for the bilge in the boat pictured in post 56 above. I'm still walking in circles after inhaling those fumes 50 years ago. - Grandad

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Made some nice progress today. The port side now has the decking sections in place and permanently attached with glue and screws. I left a 1-inch overhang over the dashboard and using the bottom of a coke can as guide, I curved the corner a bit. Didn't turn out too bad I think. Also included a picture from the back of the port side. On the starboard side I just have the aft section left. I'll need to use an iron and wet towel to bend it over the curve of the transom. I'll see if I can finish that tomorrow (Sunday). Then it will be time to flip her back over and work on the outside.

Attachments

• photo250483.jpg
    photo250483.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo250484.jpg
    photo250484.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo250485.jpeg
    photo250485.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
So how many times have you sat in it making motor noises?

Last edited:

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
I have sat in her many times. I haven't made any motor noises (well, not out loud anyway) but I have pretended to have the motor controls by my right hand. Mostly to try an visualize where they should sit. That's the story I'm going with at least. :lol:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to say it really looks nice. However, I am really surprised you haven't made the OB engine sounds while sitting in it. Maybe you have, and maybe you haven't. I guess we have to take your word for that. :drama: :thumb:

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Alright, the starboard aft section of decking is installed and the glue is drying. And lots of screws to hold it in place. I had goofed a bitwhen I cut that section out so it was a little too narrow in the forward end. So I have filled in with a scrap sliver of plywood there, held in place by several clamps while the glue drys. Thank goodness for spackle/wood filler! Later this week I'll see if I can get a few guys together to flip her over. Closing in on the homestretch now...