pop up window problems.

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a newer HP pavilion laptop and I use mozilla firefox. over the past few weeks every 5 minutes or so a window opens with the line (www.popuppers.com) and tries to load. It will do this if im logged into the internet or not. now over the past week or so it is trying to download a file and mozilla asks if I want to open it. If I leave my computer on and dont touch it for like an hour or whatever and come back to it there will be 20 or more windows open with popuppers in the addy line. there is never anything on the window it opens its just a blank page. How an I stop this. Thanks Chris

BassMan283

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: pop up window problems.

I think mozilla is supposed to have afairly effective popup blocker. I use the popup blocker on AOL which does a pretty good job.<br /><br />There are also some addon popup blockers that are supposed to be pretty good although I can't remember any names offhand.

sheaston

Seaman Apprentice

the problem is with spyware <br />do a google search and look for spybot search and distroy<br />run this program and remove any spyware found. also ust the imunize in this program this really helps with popups <br />also you can try this <br />click on start and click run<br />type msconfig<br />the click on the start up tab and see if its listed in the startup if so uncheck it

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

If you don't get Kim Komando's newsletter, you will be forever lost. Search google for her site, or www.komando.com Ya need to download some free programs Zonealarm, Spybot, Adaware, and clean up the stuff lurking in the backround of yer puter

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

It may be overkill, but I run Adaware and Spybot weekly or as necessary. I run Panicware Pop-up stopper, and now the pop-up stopper included w/XP SP-2. I also use Trend-Micro's online virus scan about once per week. So far, all is well. Occasionallly I get insidious popups, but the above process takes care of them.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I had the same problem you described with my XP system. I tried spybot and adaware and it kept happening. I used a program called system mechanic 5.0 and it got rid of the problem. You can download the program for 30 days. It found over 200 bad shortcuts, broken strings and registry errors on my system. A friend of mine used this program and was unable to restart his computer. Three others that I know liked the program so much the purchased it. I dont know what the other guy did but I think it is a lot better program then Norton Utilities. If you download it make a set of start up discs just to be safe and create a system restore point