pop up killer needed

TwoWatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: pop up killer needed

I suggest using Mozilla Firefox for your browser. <br />I don't get popups, spy/adware, nothing. <br />I don't even bother searching for spy/adware anymore because I don't get it.

Bondo

Staff member

I bought a new Dell about a year ago..... XP home.....<br />I got the SP2 a couple months ago,+ It does an Excellent Job at blocking pop ups.............<br /><br />I've uninstalled,+ Deleted the other 1s I've tried......<br /><br />I've been 5 years learning Windows, I/E,.... That's what scares Me about trying Another 1............

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Bondo..,have you ran spyware or spybot?You would be surprised what's lurking on your computer.Firefox is awesome,once you get use to it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Hey Bondo, the Mac os has i/e included in it.<br />Office for mac is directly compatible to pc versions.<br />A mac will work on a pc network too.<br />Most all the features and applications of xp are in os-x. <br />But of course there are always more deluxe versions available.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Roscoe..What's up,you selling Macs :p <br />J/K :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Nope.<br />It took my nephews about 10 years to convince me to get one.<br />And last year I decided to get rid of the pc and buy one.<br />They are both mac and pc computer experts, but would just laugh when I would ask for help with a windows problem.<br />Now its my turn :) <br /><br />A few things helped in my decision.<br />The prices have dropped.<br />I can afford one now.<br />The new os-x, both panther and tiger versions, are really nice.<br />Plenty of software available.<br />Easy to share files with pc users.<br />Most run at about room temperature, the fan only kicks in in the heat of summer.<br /><br />And then there is windows.<br />Lost files.<br />Damaged files.<br />Incompatible drivers.<br />Hardware not found.<br />Security vulnerabilities.<br />Virtual memory problems.<br />Uncountable virus attacks.<br />Popups and spyware.<br />Huge pc tower with 4 cooling fans, and its still hot.<br /><br />My entire computer is now the size of Seloc manual.<br /><br />The second one that I hope to get in summer will be smaller than a wireless router.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

My frustration level is at an all time high.<br />I downloaded spybot and ran it a few times, it got rid of a lot of junk that was on there, however there is one called "DSO Exploit" that is very persistent on remaining on my computer, this thing is unrelenting it's the same pop-ups over and over about 2 times per minute, the Google toolbar and panicware pop-up stopper pro is somehow incapable of blocking this crap.<br />Let me say that i'm not a compu savy kinda guy so i'm sure that it is understandable as to my present urge to implement the uses of a base ball bat :mad:

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Run Adaware, it will get rid of it.<br /><br />Then you still need to run a virus scan. You'll find you have executables loading on start-up that are re-installing the software you are deleteing. They hijack your browser and link you to a "new" homepage. They also install "navigational aids".<br /><br />I use Norton anti-virus. I'm just finishing up cleaning up my son's computer. (He upgraded his OS and the virus scan and firewall crashed. He went online anyway.) The anti-virus will get rid of more of the junk. Then you have to go in and manually remove anything anti-virus doesn't get rid of. With Norton you click on the file name and it links you to Norton's site which tell you how to clean that file.<br /><br />If you reboot normally in between running Spybot, Adaware and virus scan, you have to start all over. You can set up your machine to clean boot, but that is another topic.<br /><br />If you don't have firewall software and anti-virus software, don't bother doing any of this. The stuff will come back very quickly.<br /><br />It is very time consuming and tedious to get rid of this stuff once it on your system. The alternative is to reformat your hard drive and reinstall the operating system and all your applications from scratch.

dolluper

Captain

Click it off using bottom bar by start button right click or ALt +F4 If your brave kill it in the registry go to safe mode F8 key <br />Start/click <br />find/click<br />type/regedit<br />File on top of registry page /click<br />down to search/click<br />type in dso expoilt it willsearch and open the files for that peanut <br />Click on open file <br />back to top on File/click<br />down to delete / click and poof by by

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

From the Spybot Search and Destroy website:<br />"DSO-Exploit is a security gap in Internet Explorer, Outlook and Outlook Express. Microsoft did already close this gap with security updates, so with current Windows updates and patches installed, it will no longer be a threat to your system.<br />Spybot-S&D will still detect the DSO-Exploit, but instead of fixing it for good, it will unfortunately again set an invalid value. Therefore it will again be found with every scan.<br />This little bug in Spybot-S&D has already been repaired and the respective fix will soon be available as a program update."<br /><br />I understand the latest Spybot contains this fix. But you still need to make sure your IE is a current version with all patches installed.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Good fix there BoatBuoy!<br />I use Firfox/Thunderbird and don't use any sort of 'always on' virus protection, spyware prevention or firewall. I also practice responsible computing. Once every 2 or 3 years I get a virus. I've never gotten any spyware at all. <br /><br />Bondo, there's not a whole lot of difference between using IE and Firefox. You certainly won't have to start from scratch. Download it and try it out - if you don't like it, just uninstall it. If you do like it, try customizing it with extensions and themes.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Hi dolluper and BoatBoy, i did like you both said, so far i'm breathing clearly,no pup-ups in the last 20 mins, i'm keeping my fingers crossed.<br />What is a good fire wall?<br /> I saw zone alarm mentioned so far, is there any other that i should consider?

dolluper

Captain

NON ja na pas le parle en francais As you can see not French know all the bad words though should have been gooug= good u got it