Poor Running And Dies

Timphillips

Recruit
My 1987 evinrude spl 28 is running ok when i crank it but backfires and dies after a few minutes
I have changed the fuel and used sea foam , it improved for a few minutes then it started running horribly
Ive changed plugs also

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Are you saying that you get a "lean sneeze" that stalls the motor only while cold? When you are first starting it up?

If so, read the sticky topic about how to start your motor at the top of this forum. If the does not help let us know.

I take care of a few of these 25/30's and a couple have had a lean sneeze when cold since brand new. Now, many will say that should not happen, I tend to agree.

One if them is a very good friends motor, been doing it since day one, just once or twice each time he starts it. Useing fast idle to warm up for three to four minutes and it won't happen. Still not right as far as I am concerned.

So I did the whole rig a maroll. Any test or check you could think of it did, didn't find a thing. Still did it. So i tore it down, inspected every thing, resealed it and put it back together. Still did it. Some of these are just lean from birth when cold is my thinking.