Pool Noodles for floatation discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, bring on the hate posts.

I cringe every time I see that EDIT pool noodle thread.:mad: How would you guys feel if you bought a boat and found out it was stuffed full of pool noodles below your deck? I would start to wonder what else has been "Mickey Moused" on the boat. I have seen these things get severely moldy from damp/wet. I'm sorry but I cannot do work on any boat if it be mine or anyone else's on any less than a professional level. The guys on here have put countless hours in their restoration only to top it off with pool noodles to save a few bucks. Lets face it, the resto project is going to cost what it does, why start trying to save 20-30-40-50 bucks at this point?
I could go on and on as to why it isn't the proper thing to do but I'll leave it at this point for replies.

Last edited by a moderator:

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Pool Noodles for floatation discussion thread

I don't see it as "cheaping out" but just a different solution. I'm sure the guys that chose them put more thought in to the flotation decision than just cost. Pool noodles can easily be changed out if they need to be. Not so with poured foam or sheets. They also allow any water to get to the drain holes which does not happen as easily with foam.

nitrosteve

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I cringe every time I see that EDIT pool noodle thread.:mad: How would you guys feel if you bought a boat and found out it was stuffed full of pool noodles below your deck? I would start to wonder what else has been "Mickey Moused" on the boat. I have seen these things get severely moldy from damp/wet. I'm sorry but I cannot do work on any boat if it be mine or anyone else's on any less than a professional level. The guys on here have put countless hours in their restoration only to top it off with pool noodles to save a few bucks. Lets face it, the resto project is going to cost what it does, why start trying to save 20-30-40-50 bucks at this point?
I could go on and on as to why it isn't the proper thing to do but I'll leave it at this point for replies.

Your obviously passionate about your flotation. I think the pool noodles is a great idea and I cant wait to stuff them under my deck and save 20-30-40-50 bucks. I think your just bored and want to stir the pot a little I can respect that.

jonesg

Admiral

Have a drink.

jspano

How would you guys feel if you bought a boat and found out it was stuffed full of pool noodles below your deck?
would you feel the same way if you bought a boat and found it stuffed with the sheets of extruded foam? after all they were designed for construction purposes on homes!
some people,smart people (ez and others) think outside the box, and shop by ingredient(in this case extruded polystrene),instead of label. i myself bought some iron stain remover for 7.00 instead of some 30.00 alum cleaner, i did it for cost savings as well as convinence.
2 part foam (spray) foam is what did in my boat. i would never use it after all the hard work to fix it.
i would use the sheets of foam in a heartbeat if they sold it here, so i will go with the tubes of extruded polyst. sometimes called pool noodles... "darn it" that's it, they're not pool noodles they are forever to be known as TUBES OF EXTRUDED POLYST.
I am not doing it to save money, i'll probably spend more!

i realize you are expressing your opinion, and that's kind of what these forums are used for

Last edited:

paulspaddle

Have a drink.

I second that....oh and by the way...remind yourself that the 'language' here is supposed to be family friendly.

Cheers!

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

hmmm...hm.....Educate yourself before you accuse people of "Mickey Mousing" their restore project.

Or maybe you can continue your post. You seem to know something we do not..these forums are to learn from...not a place for someone to belittle procedures without a valid reason backing it..

mattpyle

Seaman

I think you should tell us why it's so bad. What exactly, in your opinion, is the professional thing to use?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I cringe every time I see that goddamn pool noodle thread.:mad: How would you guys feel if you bought a boat and found out it was stuffed full of pool noodles below your deck? I would start to wonder what else has been "Mickey Moused" on the boat. I have seen these things get severely moldy from damp/wet. I'm sorry but I cannot do work on any boat if it be mine or anyone else's on any less than a professional level. The guys on here have put countless hours in their restoration only to top it off with pool noodles to save a few bucks. Lets face it, the resto project is going to cost what it does, why start trying to save 20-30-40-50 bucks at this point?

Okay, now I am offended. This is an apparent troll.

I have restored a few boats and it seems as if the starcrafts I have removed the decking from have Styrofoam billets below the decking.

The advantage to using billets of foam or pool noodles are to prevent water being captured under the deck.

Many of the boat manufacturers have built boats using 2 part foam to meet a requirement and to keep the process speedy. With all of the blazing speed on the assembly line they have managed to create time bombs that explode with rot. The more unscrupulous manufacturers have even used the foam as added structure to keep the cost down by using less than desirable fiberglass thickness.

Take some time to read the boat building regulations and you will not find a suggested or required minimum fiberglass thickness or strength value however, there are flotation regulations. For the home backyard builder there is no requirement. Take a look at the 14' welded aluminum skiff in the completed project section and you will discover that air space was utilized for flotation. We even have members that built boats that have included sealed up bottles for flotation.

Let this stand as a warning...... do not come at the restoration forum with a post that is designed to stir emotion.

Post closed.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

As I am the target of this thread.....

And I am a moderator which does allow me to post to closed threads....

I feel I need to exercise my right to respond (I can't believe I missed all the noodle bru-hah-ha, I was too busy apparently "mickey mouse" restoring my boat).

I only have one thing to say. There is NO WAY that noodles (polyethylene cylinders) are inferior to the blocks of white foam that were "installed" by the original manufacturer of my boat. In fact I consider them to be an upgrade considering their superior water resistance.

Perhaps it would seem less "mickey mouse" if I bought them from here http://www.closedcellfoams.com/polyethylene.html#cylinder and paid 4 times as much. It would certainly be less colorful.

I have never recommended noodles to anyone whose boat relies on foam for additional structure. In fact, I don't think I've ever recommended them to anyone with a fiberglass boat at all! And lastly,
why start trying to save 20-30-40-50 bucks at this point
they weren't even cheap!! I paid around $200 for 72 noodles. I didn't even get that great a deal! I wasn't interested in trying to drive all over down buying a handful of them here or there in the off-season so I bought them online and that was the best price I could find.

I stand by my assertion that they are perfectly viable option for flotation replacement in a boat not relying on foam for structure. As this thread is already closed, feel free to PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.