Pontoons on the Erie canal

Baysidejoe

Seaman Apprentice
Just checking to see if there is any interest in getting a small group of toon owners together for a long weekend or a week long cruise,on the Erie canal system near the Syracuse area for 2011?

Not trying to exclude other boaters,all are welcome to join in on what could fun and relaxing time.

Just thought it may be a nice way for toon owners to get together and share their ideas.

Safe boating to all...

Joe

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Pontoons on the Erie canal

Interested, but we're already setting plans in place now. We need details!:D

Baysidejoe

Seaman Apprentice

We are open to suggestions, no plans made as yet. I was not sure if I would even get any replies.

Any ideas.....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

The title piqued my interest more than you could imagine. Back in the 1950's I grew up on the western end of the canal. My Dad and Grandpa drew up plans for a "toon", but the boat never materialized because of family health issues. Never saw a toon then! Ours would have been the first. Now, as I travel the canal there's one around every bend.

Back then, kids got sick from swimming in it, and fish were non existant. Today the water is clear and the bass fishing is fantastic. When Bassmasters came to town, the winner caught the winning fish in the Erie Canal.

I'll keep my eye on the thread for the dates. We might just drive to link up with you all. The 2 weeks between my college graduation and my first job was spent making the passage from Tonawanda to Oneida Lake, with stops in the Finger Lakes. Would love to do that again.

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

This would be a blast even though I dont on a toon. I am about 70 miles north of SYR.

Baysidejoe

Seaman Apprentice

Insanity & JimS123

I am starting these inquiries early, and was thinking about a group of 4-6 boats would be a nice size for the first get together. I have no set plans other then to relax, see what is around bend, and meet new people. I am asking for input from others. Maybe a weekend run for starters. Lets see what others think.

Sometimes a day or two away from the to do list, can make a difference in a person.

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will have a few things to go through before I could commit to it. Like a blown head gasket and some wiring issues. I will keep an eye on this thread and make tentative plans.

Baysidejoe

Seaman Apprentice

Insanity,

I hear you. I have to do some sewing work on a enclosure for the toon. I checked around here to have one made and the estimates are about $2500.00. I found all the material I need, on line at Rochford Supplies for less than $500.00. Fortunately I am petty good on a sewing machine. You must be up near Watertown. Were off lake Ontario on Blind Sodus Bay.

Good luck with your motor work.

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fort Drum actually good guess! Thanks I?m going to need it never tore down a motor that far but always a good time to learn. Nice find on the materials for your enclosure. I can?t wait to see it.

hostage

Lieutenant

sounds like fun, the canal runs behind my house. Wish I could come, but I live in Rochester and own a cuddy

Baysidejoe

Seaman Apprentice

Hostage,

As I stated in the first thread all are welcome,not exclusive to pontoons. I live halfway between Syr. and Rochester, and there is plenty of canal to explore (Fairport-Newark-Palmyra) etc. I was trying to express a way for all to enjoythe canal. Other then a raging storm. I don't think that there could be a bad day on the canal to share with new friends.

Something to think about?

hostage

Lieutenant

True, I was meaning it seems a little far and when I go over 6mph I create a large wake. I don't know the proper edicit, since I have only been on there once (last Friday). It seems at those speeds a pontoon would be better suited.

I live in Fairport and love it Palmyra scares me though =\

-Doron

Baysidejoe

Seaman Apprentice

Hostage.

It must be a bigger cuddy, the canal gets a little wider on the rivers, Seneca-Oswego-Onieda. Some of these area have a 30 mph limit. Common sense comes into play there. My wife and and I have talked about trailering the toon and putting in around Newark for either a day trip or weekend. We missed canal days in Fairport this year because of a family commitment.

I have been to Fairport many times thru my old job and think its a great little town...

hostage

Lieutenant

Yeah, I fell in love with the place when I drove through it looking for a house in the Rochester area.

My cuddy is only a 19 footer, though it pops out of the hole around 15mph. Is the canal like the road where you are fine so long as you stay under 10mph over the speed limit :)

Baysidejoe

Seaman Apprentice

Hostage,

No, not really. I have seen Law enforcement out on the canal in boats, jet skis and from shore watching speeds. Travel from lock to lock should take a certain amount of time and the lock master usually knows went you locked thru the last lock. I have heard that sometimes they get people that way.
If you travel within reason you will not have any problems. Besides most people are trying just cruise along and relax. (And not hit any under water objects)

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

DW and I are both school teachers so we arn't avalilable until next summer. June is filled up into July 8 already.

I'll keep reading, it sounds like a good trip, we may take it next summer anyway even if we miss the outing.

Baysidejoe

Seaman Apprentice

Mr. Crabbs,
First of all thanks for your interest. If you have any thoughts on what part of the canal that you folks would like to explore, let me know.

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOW, I just got off of the Erie Canal preservation and the NY State Canals websites. I had no idea that canal system still existed.

OK, we live in far SW Ohio just north of Cincy (go Reds!) I'm guessing we'd put in at Buffalo about a days drive from home. We have a lot of time to spend on a trip like this, a week or more so we don't have to hurry.

What is there to see along the way? We love history, little towns, good food and entertainment. B&B's might be the way for us to overnight along the way.

Is there a website that combines all of this information, or will we need to pull together stuff from various sources? Looks like a lot of fun! :D

Baysidejoe

Seaman Apprentice

Yes they have been doing a lot to bring in rec. boaters. Nycanal.com has a lot of info. and links. History all over the place. Bed and breakfest in a few spots and some motels with walking distance. Some town have services at their public dock wall, (water-elec.-restrooms), most are free or a small fee.

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Joe, can you give me an idea where you are thinking of maybe starting this excursion? I'd like to start doing a little research on this.

We've never overnighted in a boat and our PB20 isn't setup for a long day by itself. I'll need to track down accomidations, food and places for pit stops, plus things to see along the way. I might have to put a changing room on our boat to make my first mate happy.

There are a lot of cool boats to rent on the canals I see. Looks like fun, I'm green with envy!