Pontoon Transom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brucecav

Cadet
Well last summer the grandkids came up to Raystown Lake for a week of fishing, myself I am usually up there. Our 1st trip to the lake got in front of 7 points marina someone pulled up beside me and flagged me down. They said my boat motor was almost dragging on the ground. I got out and WOW the entire transom was loose welds cracked and the new 75 HP Merc was just about dragging on the ground. I was out the week before fishing never noticed anything. SO I have had two spinal cord operations, major abdominal surgery, two ankle surgeries, two broken ear drums and have Acute Leukemia (ALL) another truck stopped and BLESS these two guys they lifted the motor in place and got it strapped up then one guy even followed me to Jim's Anchorage where I dropped the boat to be fixed. I believe Jim's Anchorage felt guilty because I had just been there and had engine service work done. Anyway the end of the week I had the boat back got to take the grandkids out one evening only. So check your transoms out good on your pontoon boat. My pontoon boat is rated for a 90 HP only have a 75 HP on it. I also got one of those transom savers now and use it also keep an eve on that transom.

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
Yep..I agree. But surprised you stayed within your limit and still had an issue.
I did not use a transom saver on my pontoon with the 60 hp, 4 stroke Merc. Well under the 115 hp max. However, I didn't tow much, and it didn't appear to bounce or twist when using the tilt lock......this was before I learned that tilt lock wasn't to be used for trailering, and understanding how much twisting the transom is subjected to while trailering and not using a "saver"........aluminum doesn't like being overstressed ....I do think the 60 was more balanced also....
I do have a saver now with my new 115hp merc. That bigger motor really would bounce and the saver completely eliminates that......so here's hoping I don't suffer your problem.....
....and checking the welds is a good idea......

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
You would have thought they would have noticed that when they serviced it. I always check boats and such over when servicing.

Brucecav

Cadet
Yes I think they felt gilty and that is why it got fixed so fast but sadly the grand kids just banked fished all week. Hope things go better this summer I check everything now. Just had a BIG build on the RV took it to Indiana last November so that is in good shape. We hope to be snowbirds again next winter but me and the DW also need allot of maintenance anymore.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well last summer the grandkids came up to Raystown Lake for a week of fishing, myself I am usually up there. Our 1st trip to the lake got in front of 7 points marina someone pulled up beside me and flagged me down. They said my boat motor was almost dragging on the ground. I got out and WOW the entire transom was loose welds cracked and the new 75 HP Merc was just about dragging on the ground. I was out the week before fishing never noticed anything. SO I have had two spinal cord operations, major abdominal surgery, two ankle surgeries, two broken ear drums and have Acute Leukemia (ALL) another truck stopped and BLESS these two guys they lifted the motor in place and got it strapped up then one guy even followed me to Jim's Anchorage where I dropped the boat to be fixed. I believe Jim's Anchorage felt guilty because I had just been there and had engine service work done. Anyway the end of the week I had the boat back got to take the grandkids out one evening only. So check your transoms out good on your pontoon boat. My pontoon boat is rated for a 90 HP only have a 75 HP on it. I also got one of those transom savers now and use it also keep an eve on that transom.
My transom is all aluminum and thick aluminum plate and all welded to the engine pod and then welded bolted to the toons/floor structure. If mine was about to be dragging the ground I would have some serious problems!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Agreed,----Some welding I have seen on aluminum boats / trailers is pitiful.-----No standards or high level of inspection.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Agreed,----Some welding I have seen on aluminum boats / trailers is pitiful.-----No standards or high level of inspection.
I agree with this statement but would change “some” to most.

Spent four years in welding school and 5G certified in both stick and TIG.

Sadly, weld certification is a thing of the past in most fab shops. Some of the “joint prep” and weld quality I see come in the door is appalling and have told our suppliers such.

Got in an argument with one when I questioned their confidence levels. They said my standards are too high…..

Rod burners…..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
coming from an industry that had all our products insured by Lloyds Registry and GL-DNV. 100% of the welds were made by AWS certified welders and inspected by LR. there is no standard that is too high

Brucecav

Cadet
I check my transom now and then now, also everything else. Happy boating 2023 I hope. RV rebuilt also last November so hoping for no issues this season.

tedevegas

Recruit
When I renovated my 1980 pontoon, I removed the original "jacking" transom with wood mount plate. The "new" one is aluminum and much more friendly shaped. However, after about 10-15 years of use, started to show some wear (and even some cracks). It's hung with (4) 1" SS bolts. I added some new aluminum channels (1/4" thick walls), which I bolted up, then took to a welder to permanently attach. Transoms literally take all the torque from motor to boat, and it is a lot. Keep your eye on yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.