Pontoon Trailer

Uncle Dave

Petty Officer 1st Class
Greetings All

I am looking at a 24 ft Pontoon to buy. I will be trailering the rig. Question is , is a single axle okay for such a rig? Most I see are tandem, but as luck has it the toons I like are on a single axle trailer.

A few toon trailers have rollers rather than bunks. How do rollers work as compared to bunks for toonies?

Thanks,
Uncle Dave

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pontoon Trailer

Personally, I would want a double axle for a 24'er. There are alot of them running around with singles though. A single will be rated for around 2400# on the top end. A double will have at least 3000# rating and upward of 4000# for the better ones. Depends on the toon and it's weight as to which one will do the job. All the trailers I've seen for toons have bunks (Including mine) or are of the scissor variety that uses support from underneath. Those are not very stable for towing though. Too narrow of a wheelbase...Best bet would be a bunked double trailer for a 24'er...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

dave go to NADA boats, look up the boat, they usually have the dry weight listed.

Uncle Dave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tash,

I was too late on the evinrude last week and am looking again. Found another rather nice sounding 24 ft'er with a 90 hp. but has a single axle trailer under it.

Uncle Dave

D

DJ

Toons are a different animal, when towing.

You have two choices onb trailers.

1. Under deck-narrow stance-not recommended.

2. Under toons, sits higher but more stable.

For a 24' tandem is mandatory, in my book.

Remember, toons sitting on toon bunk trailers consume huge amounts of horsepower for towing. They are also wide requiring special mirrors.

Toons aren't that heavy, but I would recommend brakes on a tandem trailer.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

dave is it possible to put another under it. especially if it doesn't have brakes, you could install an axle with brakes, look at the springs, is the trailer heavy enough for the boat. if you like the boat, and can get the price right, don't let the trailer stop you, you can always replace it. with the renovations you're wanting to do you going to be adding weight also.

Kywoodmann

Seaman Apprentice

Dave...there is a site on this forum...go to ..OWNERS GROUPS BY MANUFACTURER look up your boat make ...go to it and at the top there are headers ..go to SPECIFICATIONS.pick out your boat and it will tell you all about it...weight and things like that.

ky

Poppie Bear

Recruit

Picked up my 24 pontoon this week from Sun tracker and it has dual axles and also has the bunks. Towing with my truck isn't too bad, but I know it is there, especially on hills. It also has, and I am not sure what the proper term is, but the brakes work off the forward motion of the tongue of the trailer against the truck hitch. As I apply brakes to the truck, it applies them on the trailer. So far they have worked excellent. The only issue is loading the toon, since the trailer has to be submerged since it is a drive on trailer. I saw pictures of someone on the forum making outside guiderails for his boat, and I an going to make some for mine. Removable since boat is 8' 1" wide already.