pontoon title transfer problem help asap please

diesel44

Cadet
So I'm confused. I'm looking at buying a pontoon w trailer tomorrow. I'm in michigan. It's an older pontoon. 1980 25 foot w 50 hp outboard on it. Seller says he never got or had a title for it. Secretary of state is closed to ask specifically.

He says he has the registration for it. Also SOS website says watercraft w/o a title can have ownership transferred w registration and a bill of sale.

But it also says any watercraft over 20 foot has to be titled.

Owner said boats pontoons before a certain year didn't need to be titled therefor he never had one but has registrstion and will set me up w a bill of sale.

Any info if a registration and bill of sale is enough to transfer ownership and is legal legit or is there something else i should do.

Any info quickly would help, I just found this boat and was hoping to get it tomorrow afternoon. Thank you for your time

Last edited:

matt167

Captain
Re: pontoon title transfer problem help asap please

It would be very simple to figure out. Just look at the documents that he has. If his registration says " transferable " than that's all you need. If the transfer of ownership is done thru a title, then you need that. The Reggie will say " Non Transferable " in that case

Here in NY, boats before 1987 never got titles, many states have similar regulations.

diesel44

Cadet

Thank you for the info, ill be sure to ask when I call seller in the a.m.

Uncle Dave

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are uncomfortable about a weekend sale, then offer him a $20 or so binder until Monday. Call or visit the title agency in your state. I never did like a "rush" sale, especially on the weekend.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Many older boats never had titles. All states are a little different. I would wait until you can ask a pro. Also I bet your state has all the info on their website.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

The Michigan state website says:

All watercraft 20 feet and longer, and all watercraft with a permanently affixed engine, regardless of length, must be titled.

If the watercraft is titled, the assigned title is used to transfer ownership. If the title is lost, a replacement title may be ordered online through ExpressSOS or at a Secretary of State office. Without an assigned title, a court order or surety bond is needed to transfer ownership.

I think the owner needs to get his ducks in a row before trying to sell any boat of 20' or longer.

cc350

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Watercraft Registration - Transferring Ownership

If the watercraft is not titled, simply complete the back of your watercraft registration as part of the transfer or sale. If you have lost the registration, then a complete bill of sale with the year, make, hull identification number, registration number (if available), and the names and addresses of the buyer and seller. If you need a replacement watercraft registration, you may obtain one online through ExpressSOS or at a Secretary of State office.

Watercraft Title - Requirements

All watercraft 20 feet and longer, and all watercraft with a permanently affixed engine, regardless of length, must be titled. Watercraft not required to be titled may be titled as an option.

Watercraft Title - Transferring Ownership

If the watercraft is titled, the assigned title is used to transfer ownership. If the title is lost, a replacement title may be ordered online through ExpressSOS or at a Secretary of State office. Without an assigned title, a court order or surety bond is needed to transfer ownership.

If the new owner does not want a title, and the watercraft does not need a title to list a lien (bank loan), the previous owner's title is surrendered when the buyer transfers the registration into their name. Any Secretary of State office can arrange to have the previous title cancelled.