Pontoon Cleaning with muriatic acid vs sharkhide

I just bought a pontoon (actually a tritoon, 3rd toon in the middle) in March 2009, and have kept it in lake texoma (oklahoma). I didnt have a problem with the toons until it got warmer with this brown foul smelling stuff on them and a burnt-in water line. I pressured sprayed most of the brown stuff off but you can see the stains. Definately see a difference in the toons from the part that was in the water versus what was out. I have heard about Sharkhide and Muriatic Acid in different threads. Which is better? Do you dilute the acid before you apply? Once applied with a garden sprayer how long to leave it on before you spray off? Should you scrub it? Thank you for you help

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Pontoon Cleaning with muriatic acid vs sharkhide

I personally don't know about those two for cleaning boats but I have done alot of work with Muriatic Acid and if you do go this route be very careful as it will burn your skin easily and if you get a drop in your eye good luck seeing again. I use it for Acid washing concrete and cleaning some tools but I think it sucks the oils out of the metal and make everything carrode quicker. If I clean metal tools with it I have to oil tham immediatly or the rust over night.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Muriatic acid is another name for hydrochloric acid. It is an extremely strong acid and would probably remove the stains and possibly the pontoons as well.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Sharkhide is a "protectant" and many people have cleaned aluminum with a very light sanding then applied sharkhide.

I am not a fan of using acid on aluminum.

Thank you Bob, Ive already decided against the acid, sounds like horrible stuff

wsilver

Recruit

This is an old thread, but to save some others some trouble, I want to affirm CaptainDaveM57's choice to not use muriatic acid. The acid will not remove oxidation and will leave pitting on the pontoon. It will also discolor your trailer. Even though some of the pontoon cleaners have acid in them, do not try to use muriatic acid. Coil cleaner, however, works well. It is a non-acid, base product. It will still burn you. You can mix the strength to suit your needs depending on how oxidized your logs are. You can apply it with a garden sprayer, which is very convenient and saves your hands from the pumping of a spray bottle. It will also cost you 1/4 the amount. If you mix it strong (6:1) it will foam up just like the other products. It does not seem to leave as much of the white coating that Alumabrite does, and at this point I have not gotten a very consistent white color and there is some powdery residue. I may try powerwashing and/or wiping the log down after coating it.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Like WSilver says, you can use a/c coil cleaner. You can also use the commercial pontoon cleaners, which area essentially muriatic acid diluted. Many people use a muriatic acid mix with success. You may can find this subject addressed on this site's pontoon section.

Many people do preventive maintenance, and clean their boats with 3-M ScotchBrite pads (household strength) that you buy at Walmart of Target. You can also get industrial versions of the same products at auto paint shops--but they may scratch. As people are floating around in the middle of the lake, they'll take a few minutes to scrub their "bathtub ring" with the ScotchBrite pads. Bartenders Friend is the only abrasive cleaner that I would ever try on an aluminum boat.

After you go the muriatic acid or commercial cleaner on the boat, you switch over to a good aluminum polish applied with an electrical buffer. Then go with Sharkhide to protect the shine on your boat.

nuboater

Seaman Apprentice

I had good luck with "Toon Brite."
When I bought the boat the tubes were in very bad cosmetic shape, but the toon brite got them looking pretty good. The trick was to use about twice as much as the directions called for. After the cleaning I put a couple of coats of car wax on with a buffer. Now a year later and the upper part of the tubes are still beading water.
BTW, I did this operation on my lawn without any harm, but be sure to give it a good watering when you are done.

luckyjr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Baking soda blasting is the best. Check out Habor Frieght

atlapp

Seaman

I used Mcguires Hot wheel cleaner and it worked like a champ!

luckyjr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It seems to me if you own a pontoon boat your always dealing with all these chemicals in the plywood, cleaning or painting toons. I built refinery and process equipment for petro chem industries and believe me these are things you don't want to be around much less use. I would recommend hiring , renting or buying you a Baking Soda Blaster from Habor Frieght to clean your toons. IMO you will like the results much better. I have a 28' and they quoted me $400 to do it. Clean and apply sharkhide once a year to keep them looking good.:)