Polyester Resin is working great but...

Intermediate Mariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Polyester Resin is working great but...

Thanks for the red fish link gott. I seen that site... it seems like he is missing the 1960 pages.

I would love it to be an inland (because it would fly w/ a 40 hp).. the only think is that the inland looks like it has 2 slats on the side and I have 3 (and the baylap has 4).

The redfish glassics site does however list the model numbers... my boat appears to be 16' (or a little less) with a 66" transom width (at the widest point) and a 16" high transom.

Those numbers match the shark but that can't be it because I do not have the fins. The numbers match the baylap.. sort of.

Maybe I'll post another thread on this... it is really not that big of deal I just wanted to know.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Polyester Resin is working great but...

There is nothing wrong with the resin you bought what everyone is trying to tell you is that unwaxed is easier to use for most of your rebuild.

Save it though and use it on your last layers.

Unwaxed resin will not cure fully it will remain tacky, the wax in waxed resin seals off the air allowing to cure hard.

Your boat is not made of epoxy! So stop wondering, it is very, very rare that a boat is. Even the most expensive go fasts aren't built out of epoxy today, they combine vynilester and poly resin in different stages but hardly ever use epoxy unless it's a kevlar hull. (which isn't really that popular cause the are actually too light and handle poorly in rough water)

As for your transom that's normal to have a gap just fill it in, you can start pouring a little resin in there to get the little voids but you really want to build it up and end up solid and void free. Use fillers or use premix fillers like bondo resin jelly (milled fiberglass) or bondo glass (short strand fiberglass) for areas that you can.

Oh and I have a 1/4" think epic of cured resin that I've been challenging people to break and it still looks new. Resin cracks from to much flex , little amounts as filler in a strong/ solid transom are not going to fail.