Poly Fuel Tank Repair

Captquin

Cadet
Hopefully this is the right board for this question. Let me know if not.

I bought a Ranger bay boat the other day and the guy had rigged up a home-made stainless steel gas tank right under the center console as the main tank. The reason he did that was because for some reason he cut a rectangular hole 8x10)in the original poly tank that goes beneath the deck and could not repair it.

I've looked at replacements online and they're pretty pricey. Anyone ever had one of these patched or ideas on how to do so?

My thought was just get a piece of 3/16" thick aluminum plate larger than the hole and nut & bolt it to the tank with a piece of gasket material rated for gas in between. Thoughts?

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Poly Fuel Tank Repair

I did some research on the subject because I wanted to move the attachment points. The word is that alomost nothing sticks to the poly. There is a weld git (specialized glues) but the kit is extremely price. I gave up on the idea. Gas is nothing to mess with (zero tolerance for leaks.

I bought new poly gas and water tanks from Marine Connections Liquidators, Inc. In Ft Pierce, FL. They sell them for $3/gal. Cheapest I found. I live close enough to pick mine up, so I don't know what their shipping charges are.

Good luck...

Bondo

Staff member

and could not repair it.

Ayuh,... 'n You can't either....

Find another, or new tank for it....

As noted, Gasoline ain't something to take chances with...

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds like your trying to blow things up !!! Be smart and buy a tank

sasto

Captain

I'm not recommending this repair....at all....but it worked.

Long story short. While working for a Naval Arcitect a guy had a leak in his gas tank on a van. I was instructed to mix 3M 5200 with polyester resin....thin it.....kick it....and use CSM. That tank never leaked a drop for over a year. But then, I never saw that van or the owner after that!

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer

I have been beat up on here before for saying this (Jegs) I know its automotive stuff.
That being said they have poly fuel tanks for like 100 bucks small price to pay for saftey.

Captquin

Cadet

Certainly prefer to replace the tank and have started looking for a good used one. MXCOBRA mentions them for about $100, but that has not been my experience. There's a guy that sells them on eBay used for $200 + shipping. Going to keep shopping and give Marine Connection Liquidators mentioned above a shot. With all the water in S. Louisiana theres got to be a decent place around here. Please let me know if you have any additional sources. Need the V shape "permanent" type that goes below deck.

Thanks for all the help!!!!

Bondo

Staff member

Please let me know if you have any additional sources. Need the V shape "permanent" type that goes below deck.

Ayuh,.... Have a look Here...

Captquin

Cadet

Wanted to close the loop on this. Marine Connection Liquidators had the cheapest prices I found. However, there was a plastics place here in town that was able to "weld" it. Baton Rouge has a large petrochemical industry, so I'm not sure how readily available you can find someone to weld HD-poly in other areas. They did a test sample and you could not pull it apart or break it. Just wanted to let you know that the service exists. They charged $100.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wanted to close the loop on this. Marine Connection Liquidators had the cheapest prices I found. However, there was a plastics place here in town that was able to "weld" it. Baton Rouge has a large petrochemical industry, so I'm not sure how readily available you can find someone to weld HD-poly in other areas. They did a test sample and you could not pull it apart or break it. Just wanted to let you know that the service exists. They charged $100.

$100, not bad. If you had bought a new tank, you'd have spent that much or more. I'll bet the companies that can do that are everywhere. Its just not a diy job.