Polish/Wax/Restore gelcoat - how do I clean up stains/browning on gelcoat?

capslock118

Petty Officer 1st Class
Polish/wax/restore:

I'd like to restore my hulls gelcoat, shes old and I'd like to make her look a few years younger.

Here are some questions I have accompanied by phots; I plan on remove those racing stripes near the bottom paint:

the blue here, this looks and feels like it's gelcoat that was dyed. Is there any special process to restore this as opposed to the white portion of the hull?
untitled%3E%20076.jpg

the next few photos, how do i get rid of the browning of the white hull and the rust stain, as well as the rubber marks from the trailer?
untitled%3E%20085.jpg

untitled%3E%20086.jpg

untitled%3E%20071.jpg

does the act of restoring the boat remove what's left of what used to say sea ray? I'd like to remove it if only to make it not look so bad.
untitled%3E%20081.jpg

thanks.

vfrkent

Seaman
Re: Polish/Wax/Restore gelcoat - how do I clean up stains/browning on gelcoat?

You will want to get some hull cleaner which you spead on and let sit a few minutes and then rinse off with water, next you will need to use some heavy duty rubbing compound and then move onto a medium and then a fine polish, finish up with a good synthetic wax.

And to answer your question about the taking off the SeaRay, yes the compound will blend that into the rest of the gell coat.

Regards,
Kent

capslock118

Petty Officer 1st Class

right.

my planned steps are as follows:
-800 grit sand paper
-1000 grit sand paper
-3M marine rubbing compound
-3M finess-it II polishing compound
-starbrite marine polish w/p-tef
-3m paste wax

I was wondering if I should do something prior to these steps to remove the aformentioned; which you stipulated a cleaning agent would do the trick.

Moving on to the products I listed, I'm looking at these products and I can't figure out how much surface area these products cover. Now I know that it will depend on how much I use - but for a 19' open bow with somewhere around a 6-8' beam, how much should I guess for?

I really just don't know if buying the quart size bottles are enough or if I need more.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Use the hull cleaner first (according to directions). You'll be surprised at what they remove.

sea pig

Recruit

on-off & fsr hull cleaners will do the trick