Poking at drain holes

mitchell2345

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi

Winterizing for the first time. When pulling the plugs and poking them, how far should they go in? It feels like I hit something when going in the bottom of the manifolds. How far should I be going in both?

This is on a Mcm Merc 5.0 Chevy.

Thanks
Mitchell

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Poking at drain holes

A little past the threads. Depending on the manifolds, it could be anywhere from a quarter to half inch past the threads.

mitchell2345

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay that's about when I hit. What bout the block?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Same thing, I've never measured it.

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

theres a fair amount of water in the manifolds and it should be gushing out for maybe a minute on the manifolds and maybe 2 on the block .same both sides.if it only trickles there maybe a lot of foreign matter that needs clearing with a thin screwdriver if thats the word.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

You will know when the water gushes out. Even my new 4.3 needed a couple pokes on the starboard side of the block before the water poured out. I am sure many an engine has cracked because the debris held water in.

Bondo

Staff member

Hi

Winterizing for the first time. When pulling the plugs and poking them, how far should they go in? It feels like I hit something when going in the bottom of the manifolds. How far should I be going in both?

This is on a Mcm Merc 5.0 Chevy.

Thanks
Mitchell

Ayuh,.... Not all castin's are the same, 'n I agree with Don,...

Generally speakin', I can poke my SSteel deckscrew in 'bout a 1/4" to 3/4" into the hole, before ya hit the inside wall....

I kinda like the deckscrew, it's got a fine point, 'n the threads really haul the crud out easily.... ;)

sweet addiction

Petty Officer 1st Class

Generally speakin' said:
I could not agree more, Use something to actually get that crud out of there. Don't just poke at it with a coat hanger.

OldNBold51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You will know when the water gushes out. Even my new 4.3 needed a couple pokes on the starboard side of the block before the water poured out. I am sure many an engine has cracked because the debris held water in.

True that!! My 1st winterizing (35 years previous outboards) I only got a small trickle on both sides of the block and called it good. Thus, I cracked the block after owning the boat less than a month. The next year I made sure I got a gusher from the blocks drain plugs. I'm guessing, but there's well over a gallon that needs to come gushing out.