Points adjustment

Starboardlean

Seaman
25553b/1975 25hp. I succeeded in stabilizing the armature plate. So now to resetting point. Port side went well. Loosened set screw, adjusted where .020 just drags through, tighten set screw. To starboard. Loosened set screw...

​​​​​​No matter what I tried with adjust screw most I could get is .012. New points. Advice?

JJBoatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like the wiper is worn out, that’s the composite that rides on the cam. You might be able to elongate the adjustment hole on the points base to achieve .020 but I would just get a new set of points. Make sure you put some grease on the wipers, if you don’t they will wear out fast.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Have to ask.---Are you using cam screw to adjust the points ?----Are you backing that screw out one turn before setting the gap ?

Starboardlean

Seaman
I guess I use the right screw to adjust. No sure on it correct terminology. Are you saying when adjusting point gap to loosen set screw, gently seat other screw, then back it out 360°, then adjust for gap?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No you tighten the one screw with the special flat washer.-----Then use the cam screw to set the point gap !----Bin doing it that way for near 50 years , no problem !

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
some point sets have short rub arms to the cam lobe some have longer rub arms to the lobe set point were you using the proper points for your engine … ?