- Point the timing light at the timimg grid and engage so it is flashing.

chefg1124

Cadet
From the Sticky on tuning up points ignition. I am very mechanically inclined and have rebuilt a small engine before but have not worked on marine engines set timing or replaced starting component parts. I understand or will be able to figure out everything else in the sticky for doing this but i am unclear as to where the "timing grid" is.

I also would like to know if anyone can tell me what the dwell angle should be 2001 mercuiser 3.0 s/n 0M042894 or where i can find such information.

as always thanks for the help!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: - Point the timing light at the timimg grid and engage so it is flashing.

You don't have dwell on that engine, dwell is set on points, you have the Delco EST distributor which is all electronic.You also have to put that distributor into base timing mode to set the timing.

The timing grid is the timing tab that shows the degrees. Similar to the one here 3.0L Timing marks.png

You also have to put that distributor into base timing mode to set the timing. Here is some information about that as well.

View attachment 3.0 EST timing.pdf

chefg1124

Cadet

I was under the assumption I had points ignition because on mercruiser site when I put in my S/N and I go to the est ignition I see parts for a rotor. Sorry for the confusion. If I am going to tune it up what replacement parts for this engine should I purchase. I am going to have to do more research on timing i think. Is there an idiots guide someplace? I am usually good once I understand something but i am not there yet.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I was under the assumption I had points ignition because on mercruiser site when I put in my S/N and I go to the est ignition I see parts for a rotor

All distributors have rotors, same as distributor caps. But you DO NOT HAVE POINTS.

I am going to have to do more research on timing i think. Is there an idiots guide someplace?

You don't have to "Research" anything, I posted a .pdf file in my previous post, but you do have to download it and read it???????

chefg1124

Cadet

ok great. I did download and read the pdf but as I stated before I have never done this before so I need more step by step details explaining more. I have never timed an engine in my life and I am not clear on some of the terminology. So once I understand why i am doing what I am doing it will make sense to me. I don't want to jump in and screw something up. It doesn't look that complicated but I need to be sure prior to diving in.

If someone could point me in the right direction i/e part number for a tune up kit specific to my engine that would be greatly appreciated. I would like the replace the cap and any other parts in the distributor that normally would get replace along with the wires and plugs. I see a ton of kits online but I am not sure if they are for my engine and on iboats engine parts under tune up kits for the 3.0 it only goes up to 1995 and my engine is newer than that. I want to be sure I get the right parts. Thanks for all the help!