plywood for floor rcomendations

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
I am new to forumn, but have learned a lot reading last couple weeks.thinking 3/4 inch plywood for decking on a starcraft restore and also 2 pieces glued together for transom. have heard not to use treated plywood on aluminum boats. so i am looking for suggestions for my decking and transom, and also what i should use for a coating of resin on all, and if i would need to glass cloth at all.
thanks

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander
Re: plywood for floor rcomendations

Welcome to iboats...

3/4 would be a good choice for decking... You can use marine grade, but a lot of folks use other exterior grade (Auraco from Lowe's is a popular choice, along with exterior grade AC Fir).

Yes, you are correct, don't use PT on aluminum boats...

In terms of coating, FG covering is probably overkill in an aluminum boat.. Most folks just do between 2-4 coats of epoxy resin on the deck pieces and transom. Once that cures, paint over it, because epoxy is not UV tolerant.

Epoxy can be a bit pricey, so some folks use a healthy smathering of spar varnish, followed by paint...

There are a lot of starcraft aluminum boat projects on this site (probably the most popular project boat on this site)... Some of those guys will come along shortly... Be forewarned, the starcraft mob requires pictures (and lots of them) to be admitted to their club...

Best way to post pics to this site is to get a free photobucket account, upload your pics there, "copy" the image code from P.B., and then "paste" into your message and then it magically appears here...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!

Not a "Tinner" but most of the Guys use basic Ext. Grade plywood for their restorations. The Arauco Brand Sold at a lot of the Big Box Stores is some really good stuff. 7 plys with very little voids. For Tin boats Epoxy is the best method for sealing the wood. No need for Glass cloth. Alternatives to the Epoxy are Marine Varnish, Old Time Wood Sealing methods,(http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topics-questions-not-engine-topics/old-school-wood-sealer-607185.html) or just Some good Exterior Oil Based paint. Just depends on how well you plan to care and maintain the boat and how long you want it to last.

WelcomeAboard.jpg

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer

thanks guys, in your opinion is it necessary to use marine grade. cannot fine the arauco in my area and wondering if regular cdx would suffice if i use 3 coats of epoxy resin, or should i splurge for the marine grade

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

CDX would not be my first choice. I'd look for AC if possible.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

thanks guys, in your opinion is it necessary to use marine grade. cannot fine the arauco in my area and wondering if regular cdx would suffice if i use 3 coats of epoxy resin, or should i splurge for the marine grade
Where are you located? I bought my Arauco ply wood at Menards.

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer

i am by a menards but they had nothing listed on website in 3/4 inch. may have to call the local menards

SigSaurP229

Commander

BC is the lowest exterior grade you should use. To seal it I would use a 3:1 epoxy resin, alot of guys myself included use the epoxy from US Composites its great stuff.