Plug wire question

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
Replacing my plug wires on a 60HP 2004 Mercury when pulling the wire off the CD module the wire did not come off with a metal cap like I'm used to. Pictures show a round lug inside the CD module and the 2 wires and how they compare. The grey wire is the old one and the lug was inside the hole in the end of the wire. Question, is that lug a normal part of the CD module or did it come off the end of the wire? I'm wondering if I should attempt to pull it out with needle nose.

Any help appreciated before I wreck something.

Attachments

• photo319851.jpg
    photo319851.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo319852.jpg
    photo319852.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Does the tip inside the CDI look like screw threads? Some have plug wires that screw onto a threaded tip.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
YES! I took another look with my reading glasses. Do I have the wrong plug wire or do I need to pull the metal end off and screw it in?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You pull the tip out of the CDI and you'll be asking us for a source for a new CDI.

I can't tell what is on the end of the new wire in the pic. Does it have a normal looking thing like a distributor? I would cut it off if does to have a clean end.

Just screw the wire onto the tip as far as it will go.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
Here it is just what I've always know as a normal plug wire end like would go to the distributor on my old Camaro., glad I asked before I wrecked the CDI

Attachments

• photo319861.jpg
    photo319861.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 0