Please look at pics, comment, and then tell me what the heck I'm supposed to be doing

aspenshayn

Cadet
IMG_0062.JPGI've posted some other threads about specific issues, no looking at a specific run down of how I need to tab and glass my stringer down to the hull and glass it in. Please look at the pic and give some specifics with this specific boat. I read a lot of threads, but seems to be different type boats and different stringer setups. this seems like I just need to slap a stringer down and glass over it. oh, this started as a carpet replacement.
IMG_0059.JPG
So this stringer is from the front of the hull to just passed the motor mount. a second stringer comes from the back to just passed the front motor mount. the stringers double up for that portion where the engine sits. I am no good at explaining it, but you can see from the pic.

The stringer is completely rotted it so it is just a fiberglass shell. I will cut the shell out and get it down to the hull. form the new stringer and put it in. How do I attach it to the hull, how do I tab it, what do I use, then do I glass over the entire thing and to form it like the other side and then epoxy paint the stuff.

In over my head, but no turning back now. type of glass, weight, size... anything will help. Thanks for your help!!!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Please look at pics, comment, and then tell me what the heck I'm supposed to be d

I dont want to sound rude or harsh..but there are Sooo many threads about Stringer replacement/install/materials/tools/safety on Iboats its almost crazy ( not almost ).

Dig around the search function and You will get unlimited answers and opinions ..

Basically do a bit more Research .. Your questions have already been answered ;) .

YD.

goboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Please look at pics, comment, and then tell me what the heck I'm supposed to be d

You said it!!!! there are alot of threads out there about boat restoration but, probably the best(in my opinion) would have to be friscoboaters rebiuld of a 22ft Sea Ray. Not only does he explain it very well but he has some VERY, VERY, good videos that show you how its done. At this point he almost owns Youtube. He is currently up to 40 pages and some of the videos last 15-20 minutes. But they are worth it!!! Please don't get to discouraged. The seventh inning stretch of boat building hit everyone sooner or later. As I told fricoboater, the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train comming, its the end of the porject.

aspenshayn

Cadet

Thanks for the input guys. I spent hours on this forum looking for these specific answers with no luck, so I guess I have a little more direction now. Hopefully my search will be more productive.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi.....welcome to iboats.

the link in my signature has all the info you need.

also....dont worry about what kind of boat and type of stringer configuration.....they are basically all the same.

after scuffing the area around and under the stringer....you can use popsicle sticks on the flat ot keep your new stringer off the hull. (anything will work....you just need to have the stringer just a wee bit off the hull)
"bed" your new stringer in with peanut butter... (search peanut butter here at iboats or it in in the thread link below) or pl 9000. (if you use the pl, it will need a full cure before glassing over it....24 hrs minimum)

tab you new stringer in with chopped strand mat....the inital tabbing should be at least 2 ins up the stringer and 2 ins contact with the hull.

then glass in the stringer with a full covering of csm. then a full wrap of 1708,
dont get crazy and do 5 layers of 1708.....you dont need it.....one is fine....two is better....3 is way overkill.

each layer of glass should reach farther away from the base of the stringer by about 2 ins.
so by the time you are done...the glass will be 6 inches on either side of the stringer.

cheers
oops