PLEASE HELP

IF THIS IS IN THE WRONG SECTION PLEASE MOVE, but please help.

I bought a used boat the foirst of the year. I've been getting service work done, working on cosmetic stuff, etc. So im down to changing the oil and have everything empty. Now the oil filter WILL NOT TURN. Yes im turning it the right way, lol. ive tried the screwdriver, an oil filter wrench, an oil filter socket and a strap. Everyone should know what limited space there is under this motor (97 merc in a Sea Ray 190). What i have now is a mangled oily mess that i can barely get a hand on.

Any suggestions? I guess Im down to paynig $100 for the local shop to work on it?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
No Title

I use one like this,even to tight ones come off! Mine are from Napa,a couple sizes.

Attachments

• photo215698.jpg
    photo215698.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 0

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
If the above doesn't work, you could call a plumber friend and borrow one of these? Pipe-Chain-Wrench.jpg

Last edited:

Alumarine

Captain
If there's not much left then you might have to use a hammer and chisel to get it turning if you have room.
Careful not to damage the area where the gasket seats.

Bondo

Staff member
If there's not much left then you might have to use a hammer and chisel to get it turning if you have room.
Careful not to damage the area where the gasket seats.

Ayuh,.... Or an air chisel against the rim,....

What motor We workin' on,..??..??

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What Bondo said. When this happens to me, I use a chisel on the rolled rim, straight on to make a notch. Then angle the chisel to drive the rim counter-clockwise. It usually loosens up wirh a few taps. When you put the new one on, follow the tightening instructions. They mean 1/4 or 1/2 turn after the gasket contacts and by hand only. All you end up with is this mess if it's too tight Good luck.

filter.PNG

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Here is a tip that has worked many times for me. It involves making a very simple tool.
1) Purchase a new oil filter.
2) Look at the top of the filter and you will see a series of small holes around the larger middle hole.
3) using a piece of 1-inch wide, 3/8 thick (or 1/2) flat bar stock (steel or aluminum), cut this piece to about the diameter of the filter. (see step6 if you don't have a welder).
4) Drill a hole at each end of the bar stock spaced so that when a bolt is inserted in each hole, they would fit into two of the small holes in the remains of the filter. Use two holes directly across from each other.
5) Use grade 8 bolts of sufficient length and insert a nut on the bolt, then the bolt inito the bar stock, then another nut. Now cut the head off the bolts
6) Drill another hole in the center of this bar and insert a bolt. If you have a welder, tack the bolt so it can't turn. If you don't have a welder, then make the bar longer on one end so it acts as a handle. The center bolt head provides a spot to attach your breaker bar.
7) If the canister is not fully removed from the filter bead, get as much of it off as possible.
8) Place your newly made tool so the two bolts enter the top of the filter. Unscrew it.

When replacing filters, make sure the gasket from the filter being removed is not stuck onto the filter housing. If left in place when you install the new filter, the two gaskets will not hold oil pressure and you will have a gosh awful mess. Also lubricate the new gasket by dipping your finger in oil and running it around the gasket.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A few taps on a chisel is going to be the most effective. You'll only have to turn it about 1/2" and then it should turn with a strap wrench. I've never seen the screwdriver trick work but that doesn't matter now. On my Merc I decided my life was easier and cleaner with the installation of a remote filter adapter.
Good luck.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Also, before destroying the filter you could purchase the removal tool that fits on the bottom of your filter that uses a socket to loosen it. Providing you have the room...