Please help

maxamy

Cadet
I'm not even sure where to start....OK...here goes...I was fishing a tournament 2 weeks ago and my boat ran great while idling around the launch area, I ran hard up the lake for about 4-5 miles then it died. It would run at slow rpms but when I hit the gas it died every time....I thought it was dirt fuel so I put in seafoam....It ran again but died that night and wouldn't restart.....I took it home and it started in the garage....I went on the water the following weekend and it ran fine for a while then died and wouldn't restart.....I thought the VST tank was dirty because thats what most forums said but I took that apart and it was OK and so was the screen....I replaced the fuel filter added enzyme treatment and it would'nt run...... I take it home and now it starts and runs in the garage.....I can't troubleshoot it here because its only breaking down on the water when I run it hard.....Any ideas would be a great help.....Thanks....

1997 Mercury 150 V6 EFI
0G498740

maxamy

Cadet
Re: Please help

SO far I have drained the fuel tank and I plan to replace the hoses and clean the VST better....I already took it apart not knowing that the o-ring wasn't reusable (stupid) so I might as well clean it and rebuild the needle and seat while I have it apart.....I will be ordering the stuff soon.....I am not sure it's fuel but I am doing that stuff just to rule out any problems with the fuel.....It may be electrical but I don't know how to tell.....I did have key switch problems once and I replaced it with an aftermarket....The motor cranks now but I'm not sure if it can die intermittently if there is key switch problems.....advice anyone?

Sounds like a fuel issue to me. If your ignition system has a condenser replace it to eliminate this as being a possible problem. I have found that a bad condenser can cause this sort of erratic behavior . A weak fuel pump can also cause this.

maxamy

Cadet

I was worried about the fuel pump being weak also....I did discover today when I pumped the old fuel out that there was little black specks in the fuel from the line with the squeeze bulb....I hope thats all that is....How do you determine if the fuel pump is strong ...also do you mean the electric fuel pump or the vacuum one......apparently there is two fuel pumps....which of the pump causes this type of behavior if it's weak? ...Thanks for the advice ...I will check into the condenser issue as well.....