Please Help Quick!! Looking Tonight~!

sham

Seaman
Hi - I know I've been buggin all of ya'll too much but PLEASE help - I'm probably looking at this boat tonight and I need advise! It is a 1987 Sea Ray with talk about a motor and work done to it that I don't understand not to mention lots of other things they have done to it. If this is the wrong place for this post - move it and let me know PLEASE!!! Here is the link: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/764000079.html

PLEASE - YOUR ADVISE QUICK - AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!!! THANKS!!!:eek:

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Please Help Quick!! Looking Tonight~!

Looks OK, you might be able to talk him down in today's market....;)

sham

Seaman

Which would be how much?:confused:Approximately!

Maclin

Admiral

Do not buy the boat (ANY BOAT) without an hour or so trial on the water. Look at the oil in the engine before and after. Look at the bilge area before and after. Have them stop for a few minutes in the water then start it up again. Make them throttle it up above 3500 rpm for a period of time on the water, watch the temp gauge to look for steadiness versus fluctuations. Make sure the boat feels fast enough for all the work the engine is doing. Turn the steering several times, listen for noises from the back of the boat. ASK QUESTIONS about funny noises or water in the boat. Pretty on the outside and nice interior can be very beguiling, ignore the cute stuff and concentrate on the hardware.

It can cost the price of the boat again or more to fix some things that you don't know about now but would know about after the trial. If the owner balks at any of that then walk away OR pay the money but have another $X,XXX ready to fix the stuff you did not check out and that they may be hiding and that you WILL learn about later. Find out why they are selling it. Ask a couple of different ways at different times to see what they say and compare. If more than one person is around ask them the same questions and see if it jibes.

freak007

Petty Officer 2nd Class

^^^

EXCELLENT advise... I recently made the mistake of purchasing my first boat without a test ride... we were an hour from the lake so I ran it on the muffs for about 25 minutes or so... everything looked good so I handed him my $1700... a week later after no more than 3 hours on the water I had a major breakdown... My lower unit went KER-POW... now to repair that as well as everything else the previous owner screwed up will set me back an additional $1500...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

In addition to checking all the mechanical issues, check carefully for ROT!
Older fiberglass boats use wood in the deck, stringers and transom. If it wasn't stored right throughout its lifetime, you can get rot in all those areas, and in my opinion, I'd rather do mechanical work anyday than rot/fiberglass repair. Personally I would not buy another old boat, if it wasn't stored inside yoiu can have major problems. Been there done that!

Attachments

• Boat 1a.jpg
    Boat 1a.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 0
  • old floor.jpg
    old floor.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 0
  • foam in.jpg
    foam in.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 0

miles917

Seaman Apprentice

Don't know if you went to look/buy yet, but I would like to add that you should also have a mechanic take a look at the boat. Even better, make the seller take you out on the water for an hour, then take it to a mechanic.

It would be a good idea to go talk to a mechanic or two prior to looking at the boat, as to get a sense of wether he is a stand-up guy and wether you can just show up with a boat and expect him to look at it.

I learned the hard way, jumped on a "good deal" 3 months ago and still am not on the water. More than doubled my investment so far and thats doing the work myself.

There will always be a good deal and a seller willing to work with you. If they don't want to take you on the water or let you take the boat to a mechanic, walk away! By the way, much better looking than the boat you asked about yesterday! Let us know how it goes.

Robj

Lieutenant

I agree, let a professional take a look at it. Then you have a good ideal on the condition of the boat and any repairs that may be required. Then decide whether it is worth it. Remember boats are not cheap, especially if you have to depend on a shop to do your repairs.

Have a great day,

Rob.

1976SRV190

Seaman

If you get it take that whale tale off or youll be trying to figgure out why it is leaning to far to port, and kicking water up on the transom...plus they reduce top end. I think it is a great price, but I am a Sea Ray fanatic!

jp89bayliner

Seaman

Look's like a great boat and follow every one's advise and look it over real good and don't be shy with question's about every thing it is your money.

chiefalen

Captain

This is the worst time of the year to be buying a boat. Your going to be paying top dollar.

If you wait another 2 months you'll get the same boat 1/3 less at least.

If money is no option and you just have to have it NOW than so be it.

Good luck!

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That price is a steal in ND. You can't touch a boat like that for less around here. Used boats are hard to come by. With such a short season, all the old tubs last FOREVER.

sham

Seaman
Re: Please Help Quick!!

Re: Please Help Quick!!

Well, you all are awesome!!! Thanks so much for the advise. Boat was "nice" - somewhat - was wet where he said he was "cleaning it out" - I find it that he was trying to hide stuff. He did tell us that the blige pump needed replaced and he hardly used it and that the blower never worked but then he showed us a "soft" spot on the floor by the captain seat where the "under floor" storage is and it was rotted! I then had seen enough - especially when he said he was 'firm' on his price. So - now - here I am!! I have two others that - yes - I'm gonna get your opinions on cuz you have not failed me yet!!! The first is one I've not heard of - a "beretta success ss" and here is the link: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/766033145.html no pics as I am going by there probably tomorrow or the next day as it isn't too far and the guy told me that the back sundeck is a little worn as that's where everyone sits/lays and needed hinges put back on it. Said the bottom end had been replaced 7 or 8 years ago - not sure why but can find out as this boat has been in his family since it was purchased off of the showroom floor here in Indiana in 1989. Said the trailer is a "tennessee"?? Said the Oil Cooler was out but will get it fixed before the sale and deduct price of about $300.00?? Been on Dale Hollow lake most of it's "life". So let me know!!

** Now - I have another one I need help with - it is a viking deck boat. Here's the link to this one: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/763964968.html a bit pricey I know BUT here's the e-mail the lady sent to me after I sent her my questions:

MY QUESTION:
How fast does this boat go? Will it pull skiers/tubers? I'd like additional pics and if possible more info. When was it last on the water? What year is it? What year is the trailer and does it come with it? Approx. where on the southside are you - close to Beech Grove?
Thanks for any info!!

HERE'S HER ANSWER:

Sorry for the delay in replying. I am assisting my father in the sale of his boat and needed clarification on the response. It is a 1979 19ft Viking Deck Boat w/trailer. It has a 165 hp I/O engine. It does have a custom made road cover for travel and non-use. The only other accessory included is a fish finder that was installed approximately 3 years ago. It was last in the water about 3 years ago. It can go about 30 mph. It is great for skiers/tubers, and there is plenty of room for watchers as well. The boat is being stored on the Southside, around Franklin Rd & Southport Rd. If you have any other questions or would like to take a look at it, just let me know.

Thank you, Sarah Smith ***Here is a link to some additional pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/brettgod...ey=52Xbvf6Dt5E

I'm leaving it up to ya'll as I need help!!! as usual!!! Sorry to be a pain!!:p

sham

Seaman

This is the worst time of the year to be buying a boat. Your going to be paying top dollar.

If you wait another 2 months you'll get the same boat 1/3 less at least.

If money is no option and you just have to have it NOW than so be it.

Good luck!

Wish that were true here in Indiana - however - most people around here have said that since our "season" is over in about 1 month - now through 2nd week of August is the best time - plus before it's too cold to "try it out a few times" before the season is completely done - especially since you have to pay to register it - you might as well get at least a little use - true??:confused:

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My suggestion is to narrow your search to a type of boat, then a drive type first, then get educated about drive makes and models, engine types and sizes, etc. You're jumping from deck boats in the 70's to runabouts in the 80's and those are very different craft.

If you're buying a used boat (10+ years old) you better know something about it, so learn before you write a check. Don't impulse buy, you'll regret it.

sham

Seaman

You are absolutely right! I am kind of jumping around but that is basically because I DON'T know what type/kind/motor to get for us. I'm just looking at what is available and building education for when I do decide. I am not looking to buy right now - don't have to - just would like to IF the right thing came along!! Trust me - I'm more pesimistic about everything and would rather be safe than sorry - look how many questions I've asked! Goodness - it's a wonder you all ain't sick of me!!haha! Thanks for the advise - I am trying to narrow it down - and probably will soon once we look at a few more so I actually have them in my head as to what they all look like and then will decide. Right now - we are really leaning to something like the SeaRay we looked at tonight - BUT - however - NOT the ONE we looked at tonight! Thanks again for your help!:p:D

miles917

Seaman Apprentice

I would stay away from anything OMC. Not because I dislike them(I own one) but because parts are spendy for them and lots of mechanics dont want to work on them. I would stay with Mercruiser's as thats the most popular, which means everybody works on them and parts are a bit cheaper.

The interior on that deck boat looks nice, but still a goofy lookin boat.

Congrats on not jumping on the first boat you look at. Impulse buys will usually cost you double.....(first hand knowledge on that)

liquidlew

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sea Rays are great boats, but you will get burned (like I did) if you don't have it professionally checked out since you sound like a first-time boat buyer. I have a 1989 Sea Ray 18.5' with a 4.3 V6, and by looking at your profile, you're gonna want a bigger boat than that with a family of 5. Mine is rated for 6 people, but I'm finding it's not big enough for my needs. It sounds like you might need at least a 19' or 20' with a small block V8. Definitley go with the GM/Mercruiser set up if you can! Now take all the info in all these posts, digest it, do your research and be patient, you'll find your nugget.:D

d_saum

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would stay away from anything OMC. Not because I dislike them(I own one) but because parts are spendy for them and lots of mechanics dont want to work on them. I would stay with Mercruiser's as thats the most popular, which means everybody works on them and parts are a bit cheaper.

The interior on that deck boat looks nice, but still a goofy lookin boat.

Congrats on not jumping on the first boat you look at. Impulse buys will usually cost you double.....(first hand knowledge on that)

This is exactly what I would've typed if miles hadn't beat me too it. I own an OMC and will definitely be looking for a merc next time around. Also, I'll definitely be bringing a surveyor or mechanic also! I wound up spending 3 times the price of the boat in repairs because I did the "Impulse" buy. Me = moron! Oh well... its just another lesson at the school of hard knocks! :cool: