Please Help Overheat problem

Coors

Captain
Re: Please Help Overheat problem

Anything new to the boat, like the 3 in spacer, etc?

Coors

Captain

It might be time to buy an infrared gun.

jayh

Seaman Apprentice

the spacers are new also...they are the identical to the last ones that were on it......nothing else was added that wasnt already there
i have mercruiser manifolds and spacers....and clm risers...that would matter would it"? all the same stuff just diff brands....
what would the infared gun do? will it point out where the heat or blockage is?

Muqwump

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 165 mercruiser and i have had the same exact problem! I went thru the same frustations as you have in having changing everything out. I have not had the time to do it but a mechanic has asked me to check a couple of things. 1. is the exaughst manifold gasket in correctly? and at the elbow? 2. is there oil in the water? 3. check and adjust the timing. yes, he said timing could result in overheating under those conditions.

Muqwump

Petty Officer 3rd Class

He also said... if that does not work. Look into having the head rebuilt but i just had that done on mine.

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

I had a similar problem with the 5.7 Mercruiser/pre-Alpha drive on my last boat. Replaced feeder hose with some clear hose and found that I was sucking air while on plane. At low RPM everything was fine. Turned out to be an overtightened drive pump housing and a leaking gasket at the water jacket up in the top half of the outdrive. At low RPM the top half was still underwater. On plane it was out of the water and sucking some air. Worth a try to check it; you seem to have checked everything else. Good luck. Hy

jayh

Seaman Apprentice

thanks guys for the last of these replies...i had given up..lol...
i took it out today and set a friend on the bow and put the trim tabs down and i could plane and drive up until 3000 rpms and it wouldnt overheat....
weird workaround so i can still run the boat...but now i need to get it really fixed ill let ya know how this turns out