Please help....new fuel pump wiring

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
If you bypass the safety switch and hook your I wire to your P wire the pump should run any time the key is on whether running, cranking, or not...

If you bypass the switch and connect your S wire with your P wire then the pump should ONLY run while you are cranking the starter and should stop as soon as you release the key.

If this is not how it is then you have your wires connected incorrectly.

jobofly

Seaman
I have the wire connected to the S on the back of the ignition key. I have it T tapped into it.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
On your ign switch it's the same...
S= start and I= ignition

Do the bypass tests I mentioned above.
This is very important because you WANT your pump to stop pumping if the engine stops running.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
This is how I had it wired originally. That's what is in my very first post.

That is not how you SAID you wired it.... Go back and slowly read your first post.... You didn't mention a thing about the starter.

Also you need to BELIEVE that you have made a mistake and look over your work until you find it.

Again DO the bypass tests I described... They will find your problem very quickly.

ALSO I saw no mention of a relay.... You NEED one between the safety switch and the pump... You MAY have already burned up your new switch if you aren't using one.

Last edited:

jobofly

Seaman
That is not how you SAID you wired it.... Go back and slowly read your first post.... You didn't mention a thing about the starter.

Also you need to BELIEVE that you have made a mistake and look over your work until you find it.

Again DO the bypass tests I described... They will find your problem very quickly.

ALSO I saw no mention of a relay.... You NEED one between the safety switch and the pump... You MAY have already burned up your new switch if you aren't using one.

Smoke, first off thank you for being patient with me. I am a novice when it comes to wiring and I appreciate you helping me. I'm having a hard time understanding this whole process. My goal is to wire this the safe way. It originally had a switch on the dash that powered the fuel pump directly and the pump would stay on even when the engine was off. Now I understand the terminals and what they mean. I'm confused about the relay, I looked up the coast guard regulations and they show nothing about a relay. So now I am very confused and want to start fresh tomorrow with the oil pressure switch

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
No problem.... we'll get to the bottom of this.

The relay has nothing to do with coast guard regs.... It has to do with the switch not being designed to carry 10 amps to power the pump.... The switch should only carry enough power to trip the relay..... The relay has MUCH bigger contacts and is designed to carry the amperage that the pump needs to operate.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
The fuel pump is the log

The relay is the draft horse pulling the log

The switch is the guy leading the horse

jobofly

Seaman
i want to start from the top and work my way down. i am starting to wonder if i have the wire that is tied into the ignition is tied into the wrong wire. on the back of my ignition key i have 3 prongs, 1 purple, one red/yellow and i believe 1 orange. I spliced into the red/yellow wire and i followed alldodges recommendation to hook that up to the S prong on the safety switch, i hooked the coil up to the I terminal and the P goes to the fuel pump. does that look right?

alldodge

Staff member
i want to start from the top and work my way down. i am starting to wonder if i have the wire that is tied into the ignition is tied into the wrong wire. on the back of my ignition key i have 3 prongs, 1 purple, one red/yellow and i believe 1 orange. I spliced into the red/yellow wire and i followed alldodges recommendation to hook that up to the S prong on the safety switch, i hooked the coil up to the I terminal and the P goes to the fuel pump. does that look right?

Your getting the S and I on the key switch mixed up with the S and I terminals on the fuel pump switch.

Do this, remove anything you have on the key switch. This has nothing to do with the key switch.

Run the "I" terminal on pump switch to the purple wire on the (+) side of the coil.
Run the "S" terminal on pump switch down to the Yellow/Red wire on the starter solenoid.

jobofly

Seaman
Your getting the S and I on the key switch mixed up with the S and I terminals on the fuel pump switch.

Do this, remove anything you have on the key switch. This has nothing to do with the key switch.

Run the "I" terminal on pump switch to the purple wire on the (+) side of the coil.
Run the "S" terminal on pump switch down to the Yellow/Red wire on the starter solenoid.

ok i will do this when i get home.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
While it doesn't matter where you get each wire, at the ign switch or at the engine, I agree that keeping the wiring in the engine area would be better...
The yellow/red on the S terminal at the ign switch IS the same as the yellow/red on the starter and the purple on the coil (as long as it doesn't have a resistor inline) is the same at the I on the ign switch and at the coil...

Soooooo yellow/red from wherever to the S terminal of the oil pressure switch and purple from wherever to the I terminal of the oil press switch and P terminal to your relay and then to the pump.

jobofly

Seaman
While it doesn't matter where you get each wire, at the ign switch or at the engine, I agree that keeping the wiring in the engine area would be better...
The yellow/red on the S terminal at the ign switch IS the same as the yellow/red on the starter and the purple on the coil (as long as it doesn't have a resistor inline) is the same at the I on the ign switch and at the coil...

Soooooo yellow/red from wherever to the S terminal of the oil pressure switch and purple from wherever to the I terminal of the oil press switch and P terminal to your relay and then to the pump.

thanks Kevin, good to know. ill let you guys know how it goes tonight.

jobofly

Seaman

This worked!!!! Guys I can't thank you enough for your help with this. Happy boating to both of you

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Now just make sure the pump does not run with the key in the RUN position and the engine stopped. If it does, then you do not have a safe installation.