please help me with starting issue on my 1990 johnson 90hp

adk_vfr

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys I have a starting issue with my 1990 johnson 90hp that has been going on for 2 seasons now that I really want to get rid of. So what happens is somtimes it wont start no matter how much you crank it but if I pop the cowl off and flip the red lever on the auto primer for one second I hear a spring click sound I close it again and she fires right up. It is really annoying and embarrassing to have to do this at boat launch when people are waiting for me to move lol. It doesnt always do this I can usaully tell if its gonna if it doesnt fire up on the first crank I know its gonna. The motor has never really idled all that well and actually when im reversing it stalls alot. I have already reset timing, put in carb kits and replaced fuel line and filter. I cant be the only person who has ever had this problem please guys help ! lol.

Re: please help me with starting issue on my 1990 johnson 90hp

get some one to push the key in and listen for the click on the choke solinoid (the thing with red lever) if it doesnt click test it with a meter. most 2 strokes take a min with the fast idle lever up before they get warm enoght to run steady at low rpm. my boat i pump up bulb lift idle lever and then press key in and crank for 10 seconds if it doesnt fire i pump bulb and try again. once she starts i lower fast idle lever to about 1/4 way up then leave it running for a min before i push the lever down and she runs fine. If i bump the key when shes warm then it floods out and can be a pain

adk_vfr

Seaman Apprentice

does anyone have the testing procedure and specs for the primer solenoid from this year and HP rating and I will give her a test with my volt ohm meter.

i dont have specs on it ...its 12vdc and it clicks so its fairly simple. unplug it and put dvm leads in plug on motor side if you get 12v when the key is on and pushed then plug it back and and push key to see if it clicks. If it doesnt click then post back and i will get a ohm reading off my solinoid

adk_vfr

Seaman Apprentice

K ill check tomorrow morning dont feel like going out in the cold to check it now its nasty out there only 36 degrees out lakes are still frozen here so not in a super hurry but wanna get it ready so I have no down time. thankyou I will get back to you tomorrow.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Check the filter in primer as I have seen several stopped up here lately with deteriorated fuel line rubber...

adk_vfr

Seaman Apprentice

Is the filter just a little screen in the part the lines attach to just curious because I had it all apart last year when I accidentally broke one of the nipples off last year for one of the 2 small lines that feed to engine. I seem to think its gotta be something wrong with the primer solenoid because when she won't start no matter how much you push the key in she won't get the gas but all I do is flip the red lever once wait for the clicking sound which takes a second or 2 to happen then I close lever again and she fires right up. It seems like it should be so simple. I told an old man who's a marine mechanic in the area and he said the clicking must be coming from the vro but he never personally had seen my motor

crane-hawk

Cadet

Have you figured out the problem? I have just bought a boat with a 1990 Johnson 90hp VRO. I could take some measurements on mine if you still need some help.