PLEASE help me! 97 evinrude 115

jones56

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 97 evinrude 115 on my bass boat. The engine is driving me CRAZY! After the engine warms up it will misfire. Feels like misfires on one cylinder and sometimes two cylinders.. It ONLY does it after engine is warm. I will unload the boat drive it across the the lake (2miles) and it runs great. I then turn the motor off and fish 30min start the engine up and it will misfire the rest of the day which makes me think it is electrical....... Things I have done: rebuilt the carbs, checked all fuel lines, checked primer, checked fuel pump, purchased one new coil and swapped it with all the others to try and figure it out, new plug wires and plugs, a new powerpack! it still runs terrible when warm. I have read some issues with ignition swicth issues shorting internally but since it happens when engine is warm kinda throws that out.. thanks guys in advance for all help

tunes

Seaman Apprentice
Re: PLEASE help me! 97 evinrude 115

I have a 97 evinrude 115 on my bass boat. The engine is driving me CRAZY! After the engine warms up it will misfire. Feels like misfires on one cylinder and sometimes two cylinders.. It ONLY does it after engine is warm. I will unload the boat drive it across the the lake (2miles) and it runs great. I then turn the motor off and fish 30min start the engine up and it will misfire the rest of the day which makes me think it is electrical....... Things I have done: rebuilt the carbs, checked all fuel lines, checked primer, checked fuel pump, purchased one new coil and swapped it with all the others to try and figure it out, new plug wires and plugs, a new powerpack! it still runs terrible when warm. I have read some issues with ignition swicth issues shorting internally but since it happens when engine is warm kinda throws that out.. thanks guys in advance for all help
Put the ears on it, warm it up and take a compression test. Make sure that is oK. Eliminate one more thing.

jones56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I took compression readings they are: 102,101,100,94. Any ideas guys??

jbjennings

Captain

Is it misfiring only during WOT, or at idle too? If at idle, you should get a spark tester or inline test light and check each wire to see if you've got intermittent spark, and if so, which wire. If you pull the plugs, do any of them look really clean? Perhaps you have a gasket or crack in an exhaust cover that's opening up when it's expanded from heat and squirting water in one of the cylinders?
Just some thoughts you might consider,
JBJ

jones56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It only misses when 1/2 throttle or more (under a load ). Never misses at idle

hidef

Lieutenant

Check all electrical connections to make sure they are clean and tight. Take it out on the water and run it if it starts misfire disconnect the voltage regulator/rectifier You want to disconnect both the yellow wires and the red and purple. If it goes away there is your problem if it doesn't follow the trouble shooting steps in the CDI guide your model is the first two steps don't correct it.

jones56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I checked all connections twice. But I have not tried disconnecting the rectifier. What does the rectifier do?

hidef

Lieutenant

It is used for charging the battery. If it is going bad it can cause issues.

jones56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any other ideas guys?

hidef

Lieutenant

Look up your engine in the CDI troubleshooting guide and follow the steps for a misfiring engine.

jones56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I took boat out today and followed CDI test. Even had a marine tech ride with me .Disconnected yellow wires from stator to rectifier,still runs bad. Checked voltage from stator to power pack 310 volts constant even while misfiring. Please any info is very appreciated.

hidef

Lieutenant

Did you do the rest of the checks in the guide? The guide is designed to pin point the issue. It might be the power back but you should complete all tests to verify it.

jones56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I put a new evinrude power pack on it few days ago

jones56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

im gonna take the boat out tomorrow and pray I can find somethin...

clanton

Rear Admiral

Which wires were you checking, what color, when you were getting 310 volts. You using a peakreading meter?

jones56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Checked the brown and the brown/yellow wires coming from stator. Checked with analog meter from boat dealership. Voltage stayed the same from idle to max rpm never changed , even when misfiring

clanton

Rear Admiral

I think the voltage is to high, which will cook a powerpack. Is the analog meter a peakreading meter, for check peak volts in this system.

You could also check the voltage at the primary side of the coil, on each cylinder, red lead to coil primary wire, black to engine block. Run the boat until misfire accours. If you find the fault here, pack or coil is bad. 60 degree engine right?

jones56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The manual says 150-400 volts is good. It may not be a peak meter. It was an analog meter with a needle and needle stayed steady. I have a digital multimeter , would that work? I gave not checked voltage at coils. And I think it's a 60 degree motor. It's a 97 115 spL

jones56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I took the boat out tonight. *I disconnected the black/ yellow wire that controls engine shut off and the engine misfired still , so that's not the problem. *Here is something interesting I found. *Since it was dark I connected my inline spark tester to all the coils and found #3 cylinder is the in that is dropping spark causing the misfire. I swapped coils with that cylinder and the miss stayed there. * I also put my old power pack back on the engine and still #3 misfires * * * * *Any thoughts on what could be wrong now ?

jones56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update!!! Problem fixed! It was the timer base. Replaced it and now it runs great!