Plastic under seat vinyl ?

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm reupholstering the interior on a pontoon I picked up. So far a few of the seat cushions had plastic under the original vinyl, and some didn't have anything between the foam and vinyl.

What's the consensus on plastic under the vinyl between the foam?

Does the plastic trap after and accelerate mold and mildew or does it slow it down ?

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
My understanding is that the plastic is so it is easier for the manufacturer to slip the vinyl over the foam.

I skip it. I don't know if it actually is a water trap or not, but why risk it?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Actually the plastic is to keep water from the seams and stitching away from the foam. If the old vinyl wasn't too deteriorated, you can compare.

Did the plastic wrapped foam have mold and mildew? How about the non-wrapped foam?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Actually the plastic serves several purposes. If you spray glue it to the foam( I do!!!) it helps waterproof it. 2.) main reason, is to keep the vinyl backing from chafing the foam and breaking it down. 3rd it does aid in installation. I HIGHLY recommend using it. I've used WalMart Bags and they hold up just fine. You can get Drop Cloth plastic at Lowes for cheap... 2-4 mil works best. Can of Spray glue and you're good to go.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Keeps water that gets thru stitching and seams out of the foam and reduces friction between the rough back of the vinyl and the foam.

Ever pull the upholstry off a cushionand find powdered particles inside? Thats the foam dust that was rubbed off the cushions foam.

Doesnt have to be particularly stout foam. Grocery plastic bags have been used.

FYI: theres a pix floating around here somewhere showing factory upholstery being removed and a big Charmin plastic wrapper was used. By the factory. Go figure....

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

The seats overall had very little mold/mildew, they were splitting pretty bad. Which is main reason for replacement covers to be made. Sounds like I should using plastic.,

Attachments

• photo257662.jpeg
    photo257662.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 2

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I wouldn't seal it up completely. Air does need to get in there to allow the foam to compress and expand. Most seat bases have holes drilled or formed into them for this purpose. It's sufficient to wrap the plastic around the bottom edge of the foam and extend it in a couple - three inches leaving the center open.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
I still say the plastic wrap is a manufacturer's cheapo shortcut for quick assembly. At best it will deteriorate quickly and do nothing for you (beyond the initial quick slip-fit). At worst it may trap moisture inside a cushion.

IMO, best cushion design is to use 1/2" or so thick polyester sheet batting wrapped over (and spray-adhered to) your foam on all seating surfaces instead of any plastic wrap. This serves the same slip-fit function as the plastic wrap AND it will actually hold up to prevent the vinyl-to-foam chafing over time described by a previous poster. Furthermore, it will make the vinyl "fill out" and look better (like a well-upholstered couch), AND it will let moisture through, which is what you want, because you want the bottom (or bottom edge on a vertical cushion) to be constructed with a water-releasing mesh something like that posted by Bruceb58 above.

This will cost more, but you are not a high-volume manufacturer looking to save every labor and materials penny and sell something that will wear out in three years so the customer has to buy another one.

All just my opinions, based on research and personal experience dissecting crappy manufacturer boat seats and cushions and re-doing them far, far better.

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
I initially thought water would sit on the plastic and cause mold, but then the other side is that the foam stays dry and won't mold. Kinda seems like there are people on both sides and both ways seem to work?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
My boat seats were 40 years old and the foam was covered with the plastic from a large toilet tissue package. it was still like new. Putting upholstery mesh on top of the seat foam is counter productive imho. it would allow moisture to get to the foam. that's bad

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Bruce said he used the mesh on top of the plywood base and the foam over it for breathing. The ply had exhaust holes.

I wouldn't use the mesh on top of the foam because it is added abrasiveness. But the mesh under foam and wrapped foam does 2 things - Help keep the foam dry and minimize seat farts like sitting on a whoppee cushion.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Bruce said he used the mesh on top of the plywood base and the foam over it for breathing. The ply had exhaust holes.
Just to be clear, the mesh is on the outside of the cushion. It's on the plywood side that you see and the foam is on the other side of the plywood.

Putting the mesh against the foam would be more abrasive than the foam against the vinyl.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
My mistake. That's exactly how I use the mesh, when I use it. Sorry for the misunderstanding!!!:facepalm:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
If you do wrap plastic around the whole cushion before vinyl I would poke some nice holes in the bottom side for a weep just in case any condensation may happen ...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Cushion underlining is a bit less expensive and works the same as the mesh