Plastic Pipe

Biggles

Seaman
Hi,<br /><br />Just a quick one. Anybody know what the plastic pipe does that comes out of the top of the gearbox and then goes over the transom does. Mine has a blocking cap on so it isn't a breather.<br /><br />Problem is it has snapped above the gearbox and although I have blocked it. It would be nice to know what it actually does.<br /><br />I have a feeling its a service grease nipple.<br /><br />Regards Nick R.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Plastic Pipe

sounds like the speedo pickup. no grease fittings on the lower unit unless its a jet.

Biggles

Seaman

Hi Rod,<br /><br />So how would a speedo pick up work.<br /><br />My mate has one on his 40 HP Yammie 2 stroke and that is blocked off as well.<br /><br />Got 80 miles out of the engine today so it must be alright.<br /><br />Regards Nick R.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

look carefully at the leading edge of your gearbox. you will notice a small hole about the size of a pinhead, thats the speedo pickup. most speedos work from air pressure increased by water pressure on this hole. carried to the speedo by the tube you mention. the hole is most likely blocked with wood or debris.

Biggles

Seaman

Hi Benc,<br /><br />The plastic pipe is capped off with a solid plastic insert at the end which drapes over the transom.<br /><br />I shall take a look at the leading edge of the gearbox to see if there is a small hole at the weekend when i next get down to the boat.<br /><br />I don't think the pipe does anything seriously important as its just a thin flimsy tube.<br /><br />I just wanted to know what it does.<br /><br />Regards Nick R.

Biggles

Seaman

Thefin,<br /><br />Correct thats the bit. <br /><br />Do you know what it does ? and is it important.<br /><br />Regards Nick R

Biggles

Seaman

Okay thanks for that,<br /><br />I use GPS so i won't be going down that route.<br /><br />I was just worried that whilst the pipe was broken for a day and below the water line it would suck water in to the gearbox, thereby destroying it. Looks like it doesn't so I'll stop worrying about.<br /><br />Many thanks.

jasell

Seaman

The only thing that can happen if this tube gets broken (and you not using the speedo pick up) is that you will have some water sprinkling. The water comes in at the pick up hole on the leading edge. Eventually it will stop because the pickup hole is known to get clogged, which in this case is a good thing.

Biggles

Seaman

Thanks<br /><br />For all that advice. Nothing untoward seems to have come of this.<br /><br />Regards Nick R.