plastic bushing on top of drive shaft

I have just installed a water pump and began installing lower unit, before sticking drive shaft into housing I looked up into housing and found a plastic, nylon bushing that had come off the top of drive shaft when removing it. It had stuck inside the housing. It fits down on spline. Do I just insert the drive shaft with bushing on it back into housing? Will it slip back into spline housing when aligning spline by turning flywheel clockwise.
Thanks Jim

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: plastic bushing on top of drive shaft

My recent 90 has no such critter. Once you slide the top cover of the water pump housing onto the shaft there is nothing else up there. The top of the DS is domed to assist in blind mating to the crankshaft and something has to turn to assist in aligning the splines so that it will go together. The only nylon bushing of sorts in there is where the water outlet tube goes into the water pump housing and is a seal for that tube against the water pump housing.

All of the bearings and seals and things of the sort encircling the DS are under the water pump lower half.

However, if you go to the IPB for the crankshaft, on the lower end, where the splines mate, there is a thing called a wear sleeve, probably nylon, and below is an oring to keep water out of the block.

Soooo couple of questions: How is the sleeve held in place (friction ?) and what happened to the oring? Get Silvertip or Chris1956, or Charlie B or Steel spike, or Laddies on here to answer that question.

Mark

Thanks Mark, after looking at parts dia, drive shaft housing it is item #33, part number 86304, seal -splined. Not sure if it should have come off " down" with the drive shaft or not. Just lucky I looked up into housinbg and saw it. Concerned if it will slide back up into where drive shaft spline goes into head.

Thanks Jim

This would be om part 0508657. seal splined. No O ring shown. Fits down on bottom of splines.
Thanks Jim

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I don't know what engine you have and it wouldn't do me much good anyway if you didn't have the same as mine as I only have the manual for mine.

The drive shaft has to mate with the splines in the bottom of the crankshaft. To keep the water, especially salt water out of the interface (if you ever expected to separate the two splines.....install a new impeller), you need a seal and something to hold it in place.

The top of the DS is convex which helps it to find the hole in the bottom of the block where the CS female spline is located. Possibly this is your upper seal and as such, there is nothing on the DS to hold it up there. It apparently is a friction fit and if it came out, it will again suggesting to me that you need a new part that you install prior to inserting the DS.

Again send a pm to one of the guys I mentioned. They are professional mechanics and know about all this sort of thing.

Mark