Planning and engine placement help!

BayouRunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok....here we go with elementary questions that should be easy for most of y'all.
1. WOT, at top speed of 40.1 mph....my boat isn't getting fully up on plane (at least I don't THINK it is). Where most boats have the last 2 ft. or so of the boat in the water when running fast, fast....mine has the back 5 ft. in the water. We thought about raising the engine, but it seems as if the cavitation plate is about level with the bottom of the boat. What makes me think the engine is to low is that when I'm at idle, or putt-putt speed..my exhaust ports are in or JUST above the waterline. I'm gonna assume that's to low? Raising the engine should improve my speed AND get me up on plain where I should be?
2. WOT, at top speed of 40.1 mph, I'm throwing a lil rooster tail. Please don't tell me it's because the engine is to high.....I'm thinking it's to low! I do have a dol-fin, or whale tail on the engine...don't know if that makes a difference, but I figured someone would ask if they respond so I threw it out there. What causes a rooster tail. Is it speed or engine height?
3. Digital tach vs. analog tach. I have a 3 wire analog tach now that is on the fritz. I was given a 2 wire digital tach. Is one of the wires on the 3 wire for the light? Which would mean I could put the 2 wire and leave the wire off for the light? Of analog or digital, I would assume digital is more accurate?

I'm gonna wait til I get the engine placement and tach issue resolved before I worry as much about speed...which is a thread for another day.