pin hole that leaks a lil bit of water and oil? help please

dom_litty09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hi, i have a 1971 larson boat with a 1976 120hp chrysler outboard.. i put some muffs on it today to start it and i noticed there was a very small hole in the lower unit.. the hole is perfectly round and looks like its supposed to be there.. but when it runs it leaks a some water and what looks like very black oil.. and it only leaks when its running.. its not lower unit fluid, i just changed it today also.. but im not sure what it is, if its a problem, and if i should patch it.. if you know anything about this please let me know.. thanks

also there is pics below to show it and where its at etc...

Attachments

• 0429011610a.jpg
    0429011610a.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 0429011537.jpg
    0429011537.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 0

dom_litty09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: pin hole that leaks a lil bit of water and oil? help please

i found out it is a weep hole.. but im still not sure what that is.. or why its leaking some oil.. like i said its not lower unit oil.. i just replaced it and this stuff is too black. any ideas? what is a weep hole for?

foodfisher

Captain

It's normall. Something about unburned fuel not making it out the exhaust. It's the reason for the weep hole.

dom_litty09

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

There are likely several weep holes in the midsection or leg of the motor. They allow water to drain out, so it does not freeze and crack the housing.

Since this cavity is used for exhaust gases and cooling water, it also has unburnt fuel and oil, which builds up inside.

dom_litty09

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok thank you i appreciate it

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

WOW! That's an old two piece lower unit. Early 70s or earlier by the part of the photo I can see. If you have never removed the lower unit, and if it is as early as I suspect, be aware that there is a six inch long 5/16 diameter 12 point bolt under the exhaust snout that must be removed to drop the lower. If it is slightly later, there will be a 5/16 allen head cap screw there.

Next time you remove the lower unit, look at where the hole goes: It penetrates right next to the water pump and drains a blind cavity so that water does not stay in it and corrode the metal. since exhaust is always present in the leg, some mixes with the water and some of the burned oil exits here also. So, your lower unit is completely normal