Phase II of Customization/Restoration

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So here I am, 3 years from when I tore my boat apart, new stringer, added ribs for extra hull strength, new floor, new 1 1/2" transom, instead of a full back width splashwell I built up the back as a platform (battery on one side, storage on the other, splashwell in the middle) and built a tackle cabinet into it on the inside (since been removed and thinking of a removeable cooler from the top now with just an inspection panel where the cabinet used to be). I also modified an '82 or '83 johnson power tilt and trim to fit my '72 johnson 100hp (was told by about 3 or 4 local people it couldn't be done, phhttttt), put in a permanent 19 gallon tank in the bow, added a ladder, etc, etc.

Yesterday I went and purchased a bow mount trolling motor and took it out for a test drive, I love it!! Been wanting one for years. Now, my boat is a closed bow and hopping over the windshield to put it down and then bring it up SUCKS. I knew it would and have been wanting to cut open the bow of my boat since I started this project. The trolling motor just re-enforces this idea. I don't need to have a whole lot of room up front for people to sit while underway and in fact just want to mount one pedistal seat for fishing (main use of the boat other then cruising around). I would have room infront of the gas tank under the floor for the trolling motor battery (inside its own structure). The dash has a section in the middle when cutout would be perfect for the passage way to the bow (think they may have actually had an open bow model?) and the windshield would be replaced with bass boat style windshields (not a flip open). When cut, the two dash sides would be supported by 1/4" - 1/2" ply and fibergassed in, and in the bow area 2x2's would be used about every 1' or so as a frame (hull or bow floor to the top) and fiberglassed in and then 1/8" or 1/4" play to line the area screwed to the 2x2s (possibly glassed in as well). The bow floor would be fiberglassed to the hull. On the bow side of the dash would be a removeable panel to get at the gas tank, the bow floor will have an access panel for the trolling motor battery, and the right hand side bow walls would have a removeable panel to get at the trolling motor mounting bolts and any forward running wires in the boat.

I'm kind of hoping you can picture what I'm after, I can definitely take pictures when the ol' lady comes home (keeper of the camera), but if you can picture it, any thoughts?? I don't want to hear it can't be done either because anything can be done and the time, effort or money (for this project) does not scare me. More looking on feedback of the methods I want to pursue.

redfury

Commander
Re: Phase II of Customization/Restoration

Go for it ( there, you got your words of encouragement ;) )

You have a couple of options that I'd be aware of as far as trolling motor goes. You could make a mount for the trolling motor you have and mount it to the lower unit and just control the speed and use the steering wheel to navigate ( obviously they make a unit like this, but it is spendy unless you can find one used cheap ).

This would render the need to chop up the front a moot point. Otherwise, if you are bent on being up front, what you are indicating as your plan would work out okay, and I know that many Glastron models have a similar dash set up between the closed and open bow...I think they just close up the open bow and glass over it in the mold ( so you don't have the open bow seating at all ).

Too bad you couldn't find a donor boat to just cut out the entire open bow area and glass it into the existing boat.

The only issues that crop up when thinking about this kind of conversion is functionality on the water. Having a seat up there is great, but what do you do with your tackle box, how much foot room do you have to maneuver with when you are up there...how easy is it going to be to move from the front to the back if you need to net "the big one".

My friend has an open bow, but it is tiny! He has a pedestal seat up front, but unless you have a small tacklebox, that gets in the way, and its just generally uncomfortable up front, especially if you have to deal with a front anchor ( though having a front anchor is almost a must for fishing ).

redfury

Commander

btw, any pictures on how you converted that old johnson to a newer T n T? My buddies boat has none and we'd like to put it on ( 100hp is a wee heavy to be lifting all the time ).

SuzukiChopper

That '72 100hp was a MONSTER to move, especially if waves were crashing into shore from behind. Hard to reach down to lock too. Esentially what I did with mine was found a power tilt and trim unit... I'm pretty sure was an '82 or '83 (white compared to the green my motor is). From there I had to machine two nylon bushings to fit the '72 steering stem and the power t&t mid section (one top and one bottom). There was some angle grinder work that had to be done to the top of the mid-section and some to the bottom to make the bottom motor mount fit back onto the steering stem without binding. Wasn't difficult but just a little at a time, grind, fit, grind, fit. From there I just mounted the motor. I figured with a bunch of grease on the bushings I made and the amount of actual wear that could occur on them, nylon was suitable and so far 3 years later they're as tight as when I made em.

As for the open bow, there would be plenty of room to sit up front to fish, I just use trays for tackle so I wouldn't have an issue with a tackle box and if someone else decided to sit up there, passing a box back and forth doesn't bother anyone that comes with me, if it doesn't fit nicely between the dash pieces anyways.

I went and did some staring at it and came up with a second idea of what I could do. I'll have pictures up in a bit of both the power T&T and my thoughts on the front.

SuzukiChopper

Power Tilt and Trim Pictures (yes I know it's messy back there, will be cleaned up this winter, had to do sea trials first ya know :) ). You can see the old and the new pretty well (old green, new white) and inside the mid section are two nylon bushings, one on the top and one on the bottom to take up the slack between the mid section and steering stem.

tandt1.jpg

tandt2.jpg

Now the dash area and where I want to cut (my mouse drawing skills SUCK!)
idea.jpg

And the bow. I came up with a second thought on this. First one first. Full open bow with the trolling motor mounted differently so it isn't sticking into the open bow:

idea1.jpg

The second idea, kind of a half cut out which will give room for storage from the top (flush lids). Also a place to put a tackle box, little cooler, etc when not under way. Will also give a better spot to put the trolling motor battery, further away from the gas tank!

idea2.jpg

I am almost tempted to go with #2 because I can create enough space that it would be comfortable to fish there, have more storage when under way... maybe a place for a live well :O , better place for the trolling motor battery, easy access to the trolling motor, easy access to throwing an anchor over the bow, and if a person didn't want to sit in the chair up front, could sit on either platform that would be there with their feet over the edge! If I did a removable pedistal up front, I could put a base in the back in the center of the platform where I was going to put a cooler and then a removeable platform if the woman ever wanted to do some sun bathing up there. Thoughts?