Permission to board, please

DonoGrosso

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Permission to board, please

Did I miss something? I read thru this rather quickly, I didnt see any mention of an engine coupler failure. The coupler thats bolted to the flywheel that the drive shaft slides into. Burning rubber, has RPMs but no power. If the coupler went bad [spun]the impellar is no longer turning, which would bring on the overheat causing other probs. The wet gimble may just be another coincidental problem. I would put my hand back there and see if there is melted rubber and nastiness around the coupler. Sounds highley possible to me.
edit...........
VANDENTER musta been posting while I was typing ................

:confused: I may have bought more project than I want! At least I only paid $1800 for it (which seemed reasonable for a running boat compared to the local market).

I'm guessing the coupler is not an easy fella to get off an on? I am very worried that you're right. I haven't taken the exhaust components off yet, as recommended, but there is no externally visible damage to any exhaust component under the hood. No holes, no burnt rubber, no smoke stains ...

Please tell me I don't have to pull the motor to change the coupler :facepalm:

Assume the coupler is shot, does that explain my issues? (smoke + water + no power). It's easy to see the coupler causing the smoke + no power. Would it cause me to take on water? Or do I have a very unfortunate coincidence?

I am wondering if someone crammed a re-build in there to make it look ok and didn't really do it right ... ? Or didn't align the darn thing the first time -- would that tear up a relatively new coupler? I was looking at it closely last night and the motor mounts and mounting surfaces look new, like it was very recently installed.

DonoGrosso

Seaman Apprentice

Whooooo buddy!! The coupler is fine! (I think). It looks, feels, smells like new. Nice firm, smooth rubber, I could feel the raised lettering, splines were like new.

So ... my plan, unless advised otherwise, is to install the water pump, and u-joint, shift cable, and exhaust bellows. Then align the motor, install the drive. Then, watching temps closely, run it on the muffs and try to find the source of leakage/smoke. Regardless of what I find, I plan to remove the exhaust risers and inspect them and the flappers.

The u-joints and gimbal bearing appear new and are/were slathered in grease. They did get wet though. Is your opinion unchanged, Tom? Do they need to be replaced pre-emptively?

Any other "must inspects" on my list (besides parts associated with the cause)?

Thanks again folks! You're an invaluable help to me.

DonoGrosso

Seaman Apprentice

Can someone please help me understand what and where are the oil seals in the raw water pump base?
I found on-line instructions that said to "fill between the two seals" with Mercury Special Lube 101; and my manual (Seloc brand manual) says to always replace the "water pump base oil seal." I can't see anything in the base that looks replaceable (besides the gaskets and plate), let alone anything like a seal. Is this the plastic ring with the small nipple that sits on the drive shaft under the pump base and gasket?

Also, is the "quad seal" the little o-ring/gromet in the small oil passage in the wall of the lower unit?

My drive is a pre-Alpha R-style drive (888).

Thanks a bunch.