Perfornance Chip

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Perfornance Chip

I avg 15-16 in town, 19-20 all hwy (65mph or under), and between 11-13 towing the 5K+ boat. Truck is a 2008 SuperCrew w/3.55LS. Curb weight should be around 5,500.

Again, ad naseum, the programmers do provide a noticeable improvement on NA gas engines. Throttle response and tq converter lockup are some of the better changes, in addition to the extra 40HP. Also, the additional guages/metrics you get from the programmer display is worth some of the cost as well. Changing to a diesel is ridiculous in most cases, as you spend another $1/gallon at the fuel pump and smell like diesel fuel after you fill up. You can't compare gains w/programmers for gas engines and diesels, as the gains on the diesels are primarily due to increasing the turbo pressure, not from the actual programming itself. Put a programmer on one of those awesome 1987 Chevy 6.2L diesels and see what power increase you get, lol. Programmers on supercharged/turbo'd gasoline engines show the same increases that diesels get, again by increasing the pressure on the forced induction.

Nothing like seeing a 1-ton dually towing a bass boat. It's nice, but entirely overkill. Same with towing a 5K lbs runabout with a diesel, it's nice if you have one, but it isn't necessary by any means and the 1/2 ton can be modified to tow extremely well for much less than the cost of switching to a diesel.

/rant

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Another facet to consider for the OP;

What are PA's emissions regulations, and how vigilant are they as far as PCM programming changes?

Bare in mind that allot of performance tuners will eliminate some or all of the emissions monitors being tested (by the vehicle) for inspection on an OBDII vehicle. They have to do this in many cases, because the changes being made either place the vehicle out of the enabling criteria for the monitors to run, or the programming is beyond the acceptable limits as to what keeps the check engine light off. Tunes that require the use of a ridiculously low temp thermostat will cause issues with monitors such as the catalyst monitor, the evap monitor, and possibly a couple more monitors if equipped, hence the usual removal of those monitors by the tuner.

If PA pays attention to monitor support status (the count of supported emissions monitors), PID count, and PCM calibration info from inspection to inspection, you may have issues with doing this.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Another facet to consider for the OP;

What are PA's emissions regulations, and how vigilant are they as far as PCM programming changes?

Bare in mind that allot of performance tuners will eliminate some or all of the emissions monitors being tested (by the vehicle) for inspection on an OBDII vehicle. They have to do this in many cases, because the changes being made either place the vehicle out of the enabling criteria for the monitors to run, or the programming is beyond the acceptable limits as to what keeps the check engine light off. Tunes that require the use of a ridiculously low temp thermostat will cause issues with monitors such as the catalyst monitor, the evap monitor, and possibly a couple more monitors if equipped, hence the usual removal of those monitors by the tuner.

If PA pays attention to monitor support status (the count of supported emissions monitors), PID count, and PCM calibration info from inspection to inspection, you may have issues with doing this.

How many states still do emmissions testing? In MN amazingly it started and stopped quickly when a study showed the testing did nothing.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

How many states still do emmissions testing? In MN amazingly it started and stopped quickly when a study showed the testing did nothing.

The majority on the east coast do some form of emissions testing.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I avg 15-16 in town, 19-20 all hwy (65mph or under), and between 11-13 towing the 5K+ boat. Truck is a 2008 SuperCrew w/3.55LS. Curb weight should be around 5,500.

Again, ad naseum, the programmers do provide a noticeable improvement on NA gas engines. Throttle response and tq converter lockup are some of the better changes, in addition to the extra 40HP. Also, the additional guages/metrics you get from the programmer display is worth some of the cost as well. Changing to a diesel is ridiculous in most cases, as you spend another $1/gallon at the fuel pump and smell like diesel fuel after you fill up. You can't compare gains w/programmers for gas engines and diesels, as the gains on the diesels are primarily due to increasing the turbo pressure, not from the actual programming itself. Put a programmer on one of those awesome 1987 Chevy 6.2L diesels and see what power increase you get, lol. Programmers on supercharged/turbo'd gasoline engines show the same increases that diesels get, again by increasing the pressure on the forced induction.

Nothing like seeing a 1-ton dually towing a bass boat. It's nice, but entirely overkill. Same with towing a 5K lbs runabout with a diesel, it's nice if you have one, but it isn't necessary by any means and the 1/2 ton can be modified to tow extremely well for much less than the cost of switching to a diesel.

/rant

Right now Diesel is cheaper than the premium I need to run in most of my vehicles. Plus I am getting 20mph daily with a '96 12-valve rated at only 180hp. about 13mph pulling the boat at 75-80. Do I normally tow that speed, no, however I did coming down to Florida.

sam60

Captain

One thing is for sure. Those of us who have own/towed with 1/2 ton gas trucks and then have bought 3/4 or 1 ton turbo diesels will never go back. Well except for maybe a very small percentage who just don't get it.

Last edited:

Shortbuss

Cadet

I have an edge programmer on my 07 f150 lariat. I run the second tune which is the toes tune. I really like the shifting now, the extra couple hp is nice too since I pull a 22' pontoon. But the best thing is that it permanently mounts on the dash and I can monitor all the parameters. You can even set alarms in case anything heats up ect. I also picked mine up used for 175 bucks.