Pee stream question

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class
1987 Mercury 3 cyl 70 hp OB engine. Getting it running and right on muffs. So far great on land :)
I noticed tho that it doesn't pee till about 2000 rpms or about, doesn't seem to be while idling. Once it does start to stream its a nice steady hard stream and stays cool to the touch. But noticed today that when getting the RPM's up there that the pee stream gets weaker, not stronger or staying the same. And then the water flow is hot.
Is that normal ?
Impeller need changed out ? Used engine so no clue if and when its been changed.
Would a water pressure gauge be worth it ? And were would it connect ?
Thanks
Mark

Mercurylips

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If your motor is a project, then I would assume that it hasn't had proper maintenance over the years. First thing I would change after learning the easy way(listening to the forum experts) is the impeller for the water pump. Get a kit from I- Boats and a manual is a must.

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks. I did some research and see that its part number 47-430261 but supeseeded by 47-43026T2. I watched a couple videos on youtube and talk about changing out the key,gasket and top plate also that came in kits. All I find when I search for the part numbers is the impeller. Do those need to be changed to
? Gasket yea I know but does it normally come with the impeller ?
THanks.

Mercurylips

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I purchased from I-Boats and it was a kit for a nice rebuild. Price wasn't too bad. I will do a search tonight but it would help if I had your serial number.

Mercurylips

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had to go to another site to try to reconcile the part number against what you call your motor and the Serial #. The I-boats lists this part number for a 75 -3 CYL it is a 18-3214 The other site listed it at 18-3214 for the early 70 and the later 70 with the serial numbers similar to your verbal. Price was about 25.00 for either site but if you order it make sure that you talk to someone about the differences they have w/ another site. This is for the impeller kit by Sierra