Patio Umbrella base suggestions

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant
Hey Guys,

I have a 20 foot cc with a bimini, but it doesn't quite cover the bow area. We go out scalloping and the sun can be brutal for
the kids up front. Everyone can't fit under the bimini. It would only be used at anchor,and be stowed when under power.
Last year I lashed a pvc pipe to the bow rail and stuck the umbrella in there, but it wouldn't quite cover the bow area enough.
Anyone ever used one of those plastic bases that you fill with water or sand? It would be nice to store empty on the way out,
and then fill it up when at anchor, then dump it out for the ride back in.
Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Thanks in advance!

Dave

DC20

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Patio Umbrella base suggestions

Have you looked into an anchor shade?

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bigger Bimini? I have 8 footer on my 20' boat it covers from the windshield to the sun pad. You could even rig up a second Bimini that would attache to the first - like you see on some pontoons.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Have an aextension made for the original bimini. Removable, easily stowable, not that expensive.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I like the resourcefulness of using the patio umbrella, but I have my doubts as to how well the base will hold if there is any kind of breeze. Maybe use the base and a couple of straps that go from the umbrella down to the rails?

Philster

Captain

Cut a hole in the floor and use as an umbrella base. Done right; insert done right; sealed right and capped right, there is nothing wrong with it. Some boats have 1-3 of these in the floor to hold tables.

An umbrella might require more depth, so just make it deeper, but no so far as to hit sea water. :)

Along these lines:

25156-1-md.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

the smaller bases require the table for primary support. the weighted base is additional support. The large heavy bases with a tall support tube can be used without a table.

in your desired application the small fillable bases wont work.