Patching aluminum transom holes

Always Broke

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am restoring a 73’ aluminum Starcraft Chiefton with a lot of holes drilled in the transom. The guy who owned it before me filled them with silicone. I would like to patch the holes without having to remove the wood beneath the aluminum because I’d have to pull the motor and outdrive which means no welding. (yep, I’m looking for an easy way out) What would make a good filling material? I’ve had some experience with Dura Glass (gelled fiber glass) and it has a tendency to crack and fall out when you use it on metal. I was thinking of using All Metal or JB Weld, has anyone tried this trick? I know there’s a lot of different epoxies out there these days I’m just not familiar with them , are any compatible with aluminum?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Patching aluminum transom holes

I've used Dupont 5200 for any Extra holes I've had in my 1974 Starcraft Islander......<br /><br />I pack it in like you would puttying wood, with a putty knife,......<br /><br />Then Paint it.......<br /><br />I was concerned about using something that Hardens,....Especially with the way Aluminum Flexs.....<br /><br />No Leaks,.... Yet,.....And that was 7 seasons,+ over 600hrs ago........

AJ168

Petty Officer 1st Class

You may want to try putting a bolt the diamater of the hole in there, coated with silicon. Then cut off both ends as close to the transom as possible. This will totally seal it and it will be stronger than just filling it with an adhesive.

Bondo

Staff member

Silicone has No Place on a boat,.....Especially Below the Waterline............

bigtree

Cadet

Hi all, this is my first post here. I'm trying to start a new topic but can't see the link to do this so I'm barging in on this topic ( sorry)

I need help here. I just bought a used 2007 Lund 1750 Tyee with only 38 hours on it ( privately); its beautiful. I needed some tweaking done to it today, so I brought it to the local Lund dealer for warranty work.

Well, later today I was told that the yard guy who towed it into the shop hit the corner of the transom with a fork lift. Its a 3 in gash, not through, however..., the transom and side wall are both buckled from the corner hit. I'm so sad my boat is damaged.

The service manager says it can be fixed. He says that it will need to be opened up though. That the rivets will need to be drilled out and some metal work, new paint etc... No big deal, but sorry it happened.

My question is this: I don't want a patched new boat for starters, however, I also don't want to be unreasonable. What you you do?

My concerns are: If the transom needs to have this work done to it, opened up, does this effect the boat in any way?
Does this effect warranty?

Does this pose future issues from stress or aging well?

What should I do?

The boat is still in the shop waiting for me to pick it up tomorrow.

Help...

bigtree

Cadet
dealer hits my boat with a fork lift

dealer hits my boat with a fork lift

started a new thread

Last edited: