Parting out

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am currently parting out a1968 Johnson 100hp GoldenMeteor.Before I began stripping it I did a compression check and got 90psi on all 4 cylinders.As I am not really familiar with these v4's I was wondering if this was acceptable,bearing in mind of course that it would probably improve after a bit of running.
Geoffwga1.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Parting out

I actually bought it to part out.At the time I bought 2 motors together,the one in question(V4TL13) and an Evinrude starflite 85 (85993s) for $50 apiece.The Johnson apparently had issues with the LU and a PO had tried to drill out a head bolt and made a mess of one of the heads. I really had no interest in restoring them ,Partly because of the cost and also because they are a bit too big for me and the electrics are too complicated.Having said that I might have a go at the starflite,I think that too requires a Lu and it is an electric shift about which I know nothing except they can be a bear.
Geoffwga1

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Im sorry, I dont mean to sound rude but Im not a fan of guys parting out motors just to make a buck when the motor only needs some work. It really bothers me. They dont make these older vintage motors anymore, and I see alot of motors getting parted out on ebay and other classifieds simply because you can make more money on them like that. Guys come to our local swap meets, buy a perfectly good motor and a great price due to the kindness of an aomci member, then cut it up and part it out on ebay to make money. (Yeah, that happened)

Thank God there are enough AOMCI members out there trying to preserve and restore them to keep them around for our kids and grandkids to enjoy.

Not directing this vent at you, just in general.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's OK High trim,I am not offended because I feel the same way.The only reason I bought these motors is because the seller was going to take them to the scrap yard and I felt that there were many reusable parts that could be rescued and used.With luck I may make enough from selling a few bits and pieces to fund restoration of the other motor(the Starflite) which I think is in quite good shape apart from the LU.There were so many things wrong with the Johnson it would have been totally financially unviable.the clamp bracket is cracked bits are missing from the leg cowling.the skeg is cracked,I could go on but put together it just spells ANCHOR.
Sometimes you just have to let go.
Geoffwga1

toey77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How would we fix our old engines if nobody parted out motors?

exactly what i was thinking, people only buy parts to fix the ones they have got, i bought a complete second motor for parts alone to hopefully get my clean looking motor going, although it does **** me off if people are snapping up good running motors cheap to part out, id rather be able to get it myself and put it straight on my boat

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Ok....I am not against parting out motors in any way, I probably have over 100 motors that I use for parts on a daily basis that are just too far gone or missing much more than feasible to restore.

The problem I have is with guys that part out complete decent motors to make a buck since you get more for it parted out than whole. Especially when they come to an aomci meet to get a deal, then strip it down the next day and piece it out on ebay.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think we are on the same page on this one HT. Parting out a running motor just to make money would be like incest or eating your first born or something like that to me but there are some who do it.There is a guy advertising regularly on my local Craig'slist for old outboards,running or not and I wouldn't mind betting that's what he's doing.
Any way,enough of this,I think we're all agreed. When I get round to the starflite I will be back at you all for help 'cos I have never tackled one that big and wiry yet.
Cheers Geoffwga1 Happy New Year all by the way.