part replacement question MC-1

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok quick question I am finally getting around to installing the MC-1 I picked up last year but I have a question the rim around the gimbel bearing that the ujoint bellow clamps to. Is it replaceable I assume it isn't at least note by itself so is it part of the transom plate or the gimbel housing min has a couple of chips gonna from it and the aluminum if horribly corroded and crumbly in places. So I figured I would start finding one and baring any issues when I finish the install tomorrow I will change it next season.

Thanks,
yonu

Bondo

Staff member
Re: part replacement question MC-1

ok quick question I am finally getting around to installing the MC-1 I picked up last year but I have a question the rim around the gimbel bearing that the ujoint bellow clamps to. Is it replaceable I assume it isn't at least note by itself so is it part of the transom plate or the gimbel housing min has a couple of chips gonna from it and the aluminum if horribly corroded and crumbly in places. So I figured I would start finding one and baring any issues when I finish the install tomorrow I will change it next season.

Thanks,
yonu

Ayuh,... That lip is part of the transom castin',...

I ain't got the link, but there's an outfit outa Florida that has a "Kit" to repair it,...
Gerka, or something like that,...

It's some sorta metal ring, 'n epoxy to hold it in place,...

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks I will start googleing then as everything else looks good everytime I start working I find more and more that the previous owner F#$#%$up.

Thanks,
Yonu

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

is this what you were referring to? GHRKIT details

it is cheaper than a plate and less work but still yikes.

thanks,
yonu

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... That's what I was thinkin' of,...

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks any personal experience with them if not hopefully someone will chime in

thanks,
yonu

crazyinkc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I see one for the Alpha 1 and you say you have an MC-1. I know my MC-1 has a different bellows from the Alpha. Might work, just throwing that out there.

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks I wasn't aware of that I will check on that as the bellows kit I have is for a alpha one I just figured they used the same bellows. I assumed the mc-1 bellow is the lipless bellow?

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

Alpha 1 universal joint bellows same as mc 1. Exhaust bellows on a mc 1 is different by the book, but can use the alpha exhaust bellow just as well.

crazyinkc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats good to know next time. Thanks for the info 84Edh. Mine is an MC-1 EZ Shift (1966) so that might be the difference.