Panama City Beach, FL- anywhere to play with a small boat?

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class
My family and I may be spending nearly a week at a rented house in PCB depending on the oil spill potential mess- we live in Savannah GA and may trailer our 15' Glasspar there- BUT...... are there any kind of inland waterways and such that are not restricted to idle speed, where we could play with the tubes and such?

If it's anything like Broward county FL (Ft Lauderdale) I won't waste my time dragging the boat along. Endless no wake and manatee zones are fine for kayaking but I enjoy the wind in my face, not idling along in 95* heat broiling my brain!

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Panama City Beach, FL- anywhere to play with a small boat?

i grew up in panama city and i was out on the bay several times a week. the bay system there is very large with lots of navigable water. its very different than south florida. much more open water and less no wake zones. as long as its not real windy you should be able to have plenty of fun in a small boat.

nlain

Commander

I was there a couple years back with my 185, you have the bay, you have the inland area, there is also the ditch that is part of the ICW, a friend has a place there, he took us up to Destin in the Gulf, he has a larger boat, we came back thru the ditch as they call it. That water was calm, we did not see 1 boat the whole way thru. There is plenty of water to play in there, if the wind kicks up it can get a little rough, if a lot of large boats are coming in or out thru the cut they throw large wakes, if you are up in the bays you should be fine. Also if you go out to Shell Island to anchor out, take some type of shoe to wear in the water, urchins hurt when you step on them.

Chuck1a

Seaman

PCB has some of the best boating around. Protected inland waters and some great gulf waters too. Take the boat!!!

nlain

Commander

Chuck was there the same time I was, he had more time and went cruising. It really is a beautiful place and lots of water to boat in.

Chuck1a

Seaman

Nolan,

Yes it was a great time. Can't wait to get back to PCB. I think your boat is in one of the pictures.

nlain

Commander

Chuck,

Yes my boat is in 1 of the pics, it looks like one I took of the five boats there that day. I would like to go back there again myself but have more time.

crw1957

Seaman

You will have to launch at St. Andrews State Park. Good launch. Pull away from the dock at St. Andrews and run in line with the pier. At the end of the pier, turn right and head toward the red marker at the end of the sandy point. Just beyond that, the pass to the gulf is to your right and you will see Panama City Marina in the distance to your left on the other side of the bay. You will know it by the half moon shaped covers over some of the slips. Go there!
As you approach the concrete sea wall at the marina, NO WAKE. Look to the right for the draw bridge. Go under the bridge into Massalina Bayou. As you come under the bridge, look left for the dockside restaurant Bayou Joes. This is a must visit for the whole family. Pull up to the dock, tie off and step off your boat and sit down. Have one Bloody Mary and a Grouper sandwich. All of the food is great!

nlain

Commander

You will have to launch at St. Andrews State Park. Good launch. Pull away from the dock at St. Andrews and run in line with the pier. At the end of the pier, turn right and head toward the red marker at the end of the sandy point. Just beyond that, the pass to the gulf is to your right and you will see Panama City Marina in the distance to your left on the other side of the bay. You will know it by the half moon shaped covers over some of the slips. Go there!
As you approach the concrete sea wall at the marina, NO WAKE. Look to the right for the draw bridge. Go under the bridge into Massalina Bayou. As you come under the bridge, look left for the dockside restaurant Bayou Joes. This is a must visit for the whole family. Pull up to the dock, tie off and step off your boat and sit down. Have one Bloody Mary and a Grouper sandwich. All of the food is great!

And some fried pickles.

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK! Looks like the boat is coming along unless the lodging has absolutlely no place to park the rig securely on the trailer. Or big globs of crude are everywhere.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

OK! Looks like the boat is coming along unless the lodging has absolutlely no place to park the rig securely on the trailer. Or big globs of crude are everywhere.

I live in the Panhandle...and there is NO signs of any oil!

Go boating!