Painting this "All Grip

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class
This all grip is locatated around my entire boat top, floor and hatches,It is PArt of the boat, not tape. When I bought the boat someone painted it with a brush, I stripped it and power washed all the old paint off. It is not gel coated and shouldn't be. IT really needs some help. What should I use to repaint this ,if i brush it I will fill in the weave texture..? Really need to spray it.. but with what?<br /><br />This covers more that 50% of the boats interior<br />And it really looks shabby :( <br /><br />
boat_2030.jpg
<br /><br />
boat_2033.jpg

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Painting this "All Grip

No painting experts out there!.. do I have to try and sneek this by JB and post it in the evinrude section? :D

phatmanmike

Captain

yes, you do.<br /><br />what aexactly are you asking?<br /><br />are you asking if thats awl-grip or if you can paint it with awl-grip?

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually the proper way to paint it and Type of paint..other than taking it to a paint shop

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm afraid I don't understand the question either. Are you asking if you can paint it? If that's it then the answer is certainly a yes. If you are asking if you can paint it and keep the non-skid surface, well, that's a yes too. If you are asking if you could do all of that with Awl Grip paint (a brand name of one of the best 2-part paints made), the answere is yes as well.<br /><br />Thom

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Hotrod,what you are calling All grip is actually called non-skid.Awlgrip is a very high quality type of hull paint.If the condition of your nonskid is bothering you you can paint it with topside paint and add some skidproff to the paint which is like adding a fine sand to the finish.Did you try compounding and polishing at all???Sometimes that makes the difference .Charlie

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

I only called it all grip because thats what it looks like, i did strip it down to what looks to be mostly primer. What I want to do is paint it from here and not loose the texture. I said the last owner painted it with a brush and it looked bad. Sure i can spray it a can a spray paint but i dont think it will last and i'll be doing it every year. So my question is.<br /><br /><br />What is the best paint to use to spray this section of the boat.. it need not shine and should stay a flat finish.

KaGee

Admiral

Kinda looks like some canvas I had on an old Carver Lapstrake. The canvas was glued down to the plywood and painted. It did act as an anti-slip type surface.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

If it wuz mine, I'd scrub it real good with a brush and Dawn Liquid Detergent and water, rinse and dry then paint it with a good urethane paint and I'd apply it with a short haired roller.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Will the urethane paint Give me a slippery surface? because it is on my deck also.<br /> and you are saying urethane paint for it's bonding abilities ?

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOW,, thanks that some great info

Ralph 123

Captain

My Pleasure. I used Pettit for my deck and am very happy with the results but the other paints may be even better. I know lots of people swear by Awl Grip. I have used Interlux's bottom paint and am happy with that too. <br /><br />The only real tips I can give you beyond following the mfg suggestions is to thin a bit when applying with just a brush and on flat, smooth surfaces use the roller and tipping method.