Painting the deck??

jash1178

Seaman
The inside of my boat right now was painted prob. 5 years ago by the previous owner with some kind of white paint. While it did look good, it is now chipping and needs to be repainted. Money is tight right now, while I would love to use some more expensive, longer lasting coating, that is not feasible right now. I am going to go with a light gray, but what low cost type of paint should I go with??

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Painting the deck??

For a low cost paint job that is also durable, look into Valspar Tractor and Implement paint available at Tractor Supply. There is also an hardener additive available which will really give you a nice hard glossy finish. Second choice would be good old Rustoleum.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

What's your budget? Square footage to cover? Surface type(s)? Do you need non-slip? How will you be prepping? How long do you want it to last?

My recommendation for an easy-to-use, durable, chemical-resistant (relatively) inexpensive paint is a one-part polyurethane like Interlux Interdeck (if you are doing deck/nonslip), or Brightsides, maybe with some flattener if for interior (and perhaps with some anti-slip grit mixed into some of it if you are looking to do some areas anti-slip and others smooth).

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Money is tight right now, while I would love to use some more expensive, longer lasting coating, that is not feasible right now. I am going to go with a light gray, but what low cost type of paint should I go with??

Interlux Interdeck is approx. $25.00 a quart. Valspar is $12.00 a qt. or $30 per gallon. Hardener is $15. If the picture in your Avatar is your boat then a Gallon should yield 2 - 3 coats. If you want non skid, you can do like I did and sprinkle Play ground sand on the wet paint then let it dry. Lightly broom off what did not stick, vac it all clean, and recoat. Works Great. Less than $50 bucks and should last several years.