Paint removal and prep?

Ross72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I picked up a big tinny and it definetly needs paint. Both on the deck and hull. I have a few questions on prep, as I will not be able to paint it for a while due to the lovely weather here in upstate NY. It is inside in my shop, but not in the heated part.

I will not use any chemical strippers, because of my kids. They like to hang out with dad when he's working on boats. I have all the tools needed, just looking for the preferred method of removal.

Also, I have all the PPE necessary to do the work, respirator, tyvek type suits, and so on. I bought a few different things to try, first was a coarse grit wheel that chucks in a drill. The next was a copper wire wheel also for a drill and finally a sander for a 4" grinder.

Alot of the paint is flaking off, so it should come off easily. If any one has any tips or other tools that would work please let me know. I have included a few pics to show you guys what I have ahead of me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

DSCN0025.jpg

DSCN0020.jpg

DSCN0019.jpg

Ross72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Paint removal and prep?

I found a small backpack type sand blaster at sears for about $60. Wondering if anyone has ever used one and what the outcome was? I know that witha drill and grinder it will take quite a while to get the boat ready. I can't figure out how to post the link, I can barely post pics. Thanks again.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Sandblasting aluminum sheeting, especially as thin as a boat hull leads to serious Warping...

You don't need to strip it to bare metal,..
Just Sand it Smooth, then prime, 'n paint it...

Ross72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bond-o thanks for the heads up. Just figured I had to get down to bare metal for the primer to adhere. Also, didn't think about the hull thickness, just the easiest way to remove the old paint. Hopefully, I can get started this weekend, will post pics of my progress.

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe drag boat outside and use a pressure washer to knock off most loose paint, then after it dries finish sanding with a hand vibration sander with medium/coarse grit sandpaper. The sanding like that should leave a good surface for priming and painting. Good Luck!

Ross72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can't really get the boat out now. All the d*** snow up here. We got another foot Sunday night. In my infinite wisdom, I piled the snow up about 20' away and I can't get the truck or jeep in there to pull it out.

This morning I started doing a little scraping with a plastic putty knife and it took alot of the really loose stuff off. Unfortunately, it looks like there are 4 or 5 coats of paint (slightly different colors) on the hull. It doesn't look pretty up close. I want to smooth it all out so I can put a good paint job on it. I want to try and avoid the bumpy, uneven finish if I paint over it. Might have to take it down close to bare AL to get it to smooth out.

Will try and get some more pics this weekend.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

That hull is really thin so you want to be really carefull how much metal you take off so use the least abrasive thing possible, I woudn't go any bigger than 400 grit sanding discs certianly not an abrasive scotch brite, you will really take off the metal with that and it is hard to judge how much you have talken off.

If you use a da(orbital sander) you can get it smooth without taking it all the way down, which you don't have to do, just sand it till it is smooth, the power washer is a good idea to knock off all the really lose stuff.

Have you painted before?

Ross72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

5150 thanks for the input. Maybe, I'll get the plow rig out and move the snow into (on to) the pond. I've never painted AL, but have painted a few jeeps. I have the equipment, I just really hate to paint. I have a good friend who is a body guy, I've been trying to get him up to the shop to help out. But we haven't been able to meet up yet, hopefully this weekend.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Are you familiar with Cabinet scrapers? They are use in woodworking to remove very thin layers of finish and or wood shavings. I use them in my fiberglass work to remove paint all the time. I have NOT used them on aluminum but see no reason why they would not work on it as well. The can be resharpened very easily and really work well. You might want to give one a try. Really not very expensive at all.

http://woodgears.ca/scraper/index.html

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You can also use paint remover. I would suggest the "safe" stuff and do small areas. People have even used oven cleaner to remove paint.

I can appreciate the snow. There is at least a 20' deep x 4' (was higher) pile blocking the garage door where my boat is stored.

Consider it a small diversion to work on your motor.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Bob,
He said he didn't want to use any chemicals due to his kids always being around DAD when he was working.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

With multiple layers of paint to deal with, I think a chemical stripper is the way to go. Just have to keep the kids out of the shop for a while. That's a real cool hull!

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Are you familiar with Cabinet scrapers? They are use in woodworking to remove very thin layers of finish and or wood shavings. I use them in my fiberglass work to remove paint all the time. I have NOT used them on aluminum but see no reason why they would not work on it as well. The can be resharpened very easily and really work well. You might want to give one a try. Really not very expensive at all.

http://woodgears.ca/scraper/index.html

Just be very careful as scrapers can dig into the aluminum and gouge it.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

With multiple layers of paint to deal with, I think a chemical stripper is the way to go. Just have to keep the kids out of the shop for a while. That's a real cool hull!

I agree with chem strippers..

No matter which way you take the little kiddies should not be in the work zone for some stages of this resto :) .

If you take the stripper way..pick one and buy the smallest quantity you can. Some chemicals work better then others depending on the paint..

Do you know what kind of paint system you will be useing ?

YD.

Ross72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. The shop is actually a 30' x 60' pole barn. I can keep the kids away in the office, the only heated part of the shop. I'm kinda leading to chemical strippers right now, because of my fear of damaging the AL and the fact that my welding looks like a long string of boogers. There is no way I could fix a hole in the hull.

As for paint system, I have no definite choose right now. It will probably a month or so until it would be warm enough to paint anyway. I really appreciate all the advice.

Bob motor work is always and option. I know that the transom is rated for 150 hp and I have a bunch nof old johnyrudes and a good running Chrysler 85 hp. I will start a new thread when I figure my outboard power. However, I was kinda leaning towards 2 period correct motors to get close to 150 hp.

Ross72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First off I guess I got a little of topic and the thread was moved. My apologies, I wasn't really sure where to put it in the first place.

Ok, I now have a plan. Going to work on the hull first and get it completely ready for paint and then move onto the deck. Here is what I have come up with, please feel free to comment.

1. Take a plastic putty knife/scraper and remove all the loose and flaking paint. This shouldn't damage or gouge the hull.
2. I picked up a roll of 400 grit discs for my da (thanks 5150) to feather any rough edges out.
3. Non-toxic paint stripper, for the really bad parts, followed by 400 grit to smooth out.

The hull paint is in much better shape than the deck paint. Hopefully, this will be an enjoyable experience. Just going crazy trapped in the house this winter.

With any luck I will be able to get started on Sunday. Tomorrow is my oldest's 14 th birthday party. I get to meet her boyfriend for the first time. Should be interesting to say the least. Really looking forward to spring and some 50 degree days.

Last edited:

kfouryou

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you can afford it I would look into soda blasting ,excellent for that and it's non toxic, plus it wont mark up the surface, hell you can strip paint off a pop can without a scratch.You can buy a blaster for a couple hundred bucks.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You can also use paint remover. I would suggest the "safe" stuff and do small areas. People have even used oven cleaner to remove paint.

I can appreciate the snow. There is at least a 20' deep x 4' (was higher) pile blocking the garage door where my boat is stored.

Consider it a small diversion to work on your motor.

SAFE as in NonToxic paint remover's are on the market. I guess I should have been a bit more clear since I thought I was comprehending the original post.