paint prep - How to remove little pieces of sand / dirt?

tcampbell011

Seaman
Okay so I have a 14ft aluminum jon boat. I am prepping to paint the inside an olive drab color. I've been trying to get all the little debris out with limited success. I was wondering if you guys had any tips? Heres more info...

I am a broke college student.

First I am wire wheeling and sanding.

I don't have a pressure washer, or a shop vac.

What I have tried:
Using a sponge (picks up dirt very quickly, needing to be rinsed every 30sec)
Using a paper towel (Uses up paper towels quickly and I feel like I'm getting nowhere)
Using a towel (best option so far, but I only have 2 towels and its tedious;I have to wash frequently)
Filling boat up with water and "helping" dirt to go through the drain hole
Trailering boat to car wash and using their vac (expensive)

*on a side note* Does anyone have any suggestions on an olive drab topside paint? I used Rusto primer / paint on my last project but they don't offer a green that is dark enough. Is it easy to make their paint darker?

Thanks!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: paint prep - How to remove little pieces of sand / dirt?

Car wash, drain plug Out. Tilt front of boat up as much as possible. wash it out the drain tube. Rustoleum Forest Green paint can be darkened by adding 1/8th of a cup of Black to it. If it's not dark enuf add another.

Johnny Too Bad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: paint prep - How to remove little pieces of sand / dirt?

I had a 14' jonboat and when I wanted to paint the inside, I had a buddy help me flip it over and pound on it a little. Got most of the bigger stuff out and then while it was still upside down, I sprayed it out with a water hose and then wiped it down with a towel.

JTB