Pads, chinewalking and hull design ??

lorax

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 18 1/2 Rinker w/ 4.3. The hull has what I would call a Pad. That is, the very bottom of the hull is flat from the transom halfway towards the bow. The flat section is wider at the rear and narrows towards the front.<br /><br />I recently bought a 21 foot Celebrity w/5.7. The celebrity does not have what I am refering to as a "pad"<br /><br /><br />I've noticed that, while the Celebrity has much more HP it doesn't feel as reassuring at high speeds. When moving fast (40+) the boat doesn't want to go straight, it wanders left and right.<br /><br />Does the difference in handling have to do with the hull differences? What are the disadvantages of using a pad?<br /><br />Thanks

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Pads, chinewalking and hull design ??

Hull design gets very complex. There are also some related issues which are very important. Some boats like bass boats have jack plates and those are very important too. I just mention that because you mention chinewalking and bass boats are common for chinewalking. On boats up to 21 ft there is also a new type of trim tab that has been working wonders for helping boats to be more stable. It's called Nauticus:<br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cgi?keywords=nauticus <br /><br />Again, it is mostly for the shorter boats. <br /><br />I'm assuming this "pad" is a stepped hull - is that correct? It has been found that these stepped hulls can be used to achieve better gas mileage and faster speeds. They also tend to limit how fast you can turn if I remember correctly. Rinker has been bragging for awhile about how their boats have good gas mileage.<br /><br />That's what I have to say on it but I want to see what others have to say too.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

The older Celebrity boats are essentially 1st generation Crownline. They do not have step hulls. First thing to check would be the steering for any loose action.<br /><br />Kelly Cook

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

In addition to what KCook has mentioned,you also need to determine if the boat is being trimmed correctly, such as is the bow running to low or to high..incorrect trimming can cause strange handling, which is very noticable on a Deep-V hull, such as you Celebrity. The wrong prop can also cause issues, a hooked or rockered hull, or worn gimbal ring pins on outdrive, which would allow the drive to flop side to side. Different hull designs will not handle or feel the same, I had a padded hull Baja and in a high speed turn the boat would remain Flat, I now have a Deep-V Wellcraft, in a turn it lays up on its side and cannot be turned to tight at highspeeds and at displacment speeds it will bow hunt.