oxidation problem

razorhawk

Cadet
Hi all,
Just inhereted this boat from my dad who passed away last year. The blue strip has some oxidation that I want to fix. I've heard there are two different systems (paint or gel coat) on the boats and am not sure what I need to do, or if I can use regular car polish. Is there a way to tell which I have. My avatar is the boat.

Any ideas?

1998 Bayliner Capri

Thanks,

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: oxidation problem

Use 600 or 1000 grit sandpaper (1000 if it's not chalky, 600 if it's chalky) on a sanding block. Dunk it in a bucket of water, and sand the stripe along it's length until the sanding marks are even. Keep the paper wet and clean as you sand. If you started with 600, then do the same thing again with 1000. Do it again with 1600.

Then get some 3M rubbing compound and you can hand-buff the area (like applying wax). Once that's done, wax it.

Good to go.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I am sorry for your loss.

Yes, there are multiple types of finishes. The good news is that they usually react the same way to polishing and waxing.

Please try polishing compound BEFORE you use rubbing compound. You want to start with the least aggressive first. Probably one of the best investments is a variable speed polisher from Harbor or Northern (or you will have muscle aches). Practice on something old since the polisher can burn the finish.

Please expend the less aggressive avenues first and let us know.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Search for Mark42's thread on gel coat restore I'm a believer! and truthfully say w/ my own little twist to this method of using scotch brite and comet powder cleanser on a litly wet hull and some elbow grease to remove the oxy and then move to a harbor frieght polisher w/ a wool pad and some #7 rubbing compound applied w/ a wet paint brush (small area 2'x2') buff, then apply some cutting creme appl w/ foam pad and watch the shine reapear you will have to play w/ the speed settings to your comfort level but it takes some practice. If the small scratches are present from the rubbing compound use some polishing compound with the wool pad and then the cutting creme and aply a good wax. Some key notes are to make sure your in the shade (garage if possible) and do small areas @ a time and do not leave the rubbing compound on to long it likes to dry and on a white surface it will realy show. I found he key and twist to Marks process was the cutting creme made by Maltco it has it's own cleaning agents within the formulation with a little grit but realy shines after being applied w/ the buffer and double that if you do it by hand. This whole investment cost me under 60.00 including the buffer. Any questions PM me I will be glad to help and so will Mark42 he did me. Good luck!