Overheating on one side...?

Scrapiron

Cadet
I recently bought an '88 winner Tourney 2000 w/ an '87 yamaha 200hp Precision blend(model: 200 ETLH). I have changed the water pump, spark plugs, Lower unit oil, 2 batteries, removed thermostat, and just thisafternoon finished rebuilding the carbs. before i bought the boat I did a compression check. W/ low battery charge all cylinders were 110-120psi. I read somewhere on here over 100, and no more than 10% out was ok, so i bought it.

Anyways after finishing all my prereq chores on it, I decided to fire it up tonight. After only around 2-5 mins of running w/ ears on( it was pissing), the overheating buzzer went off. I immediately shut it off to let it cool down. The right side head wasn't even warm, but the left side head was smoking hot. After it cooled off, i tried it again w/ the same result. Pretty sure it's not an oil problem, cause i went ahead and mixed the gas until i could run it long enough to see if oil injector was working.

Something deep down in my gut tells me this is a huge problem >.< I hope after all this work and money it's not a bad motor. Help PLS!

Thanks in advance for any input!

-Andy

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Overheating on one side...?

I noticed in your post that you removed the thermostat? Did you replace it ?:confused:

Scrapiron

Cadet
Re: Overheating on one side...?

I actually thought the PCV valve was the thermostat >.< Good thing i didnt run it long. But im thinking that would explain a lack of water pressure even w/ a new impeller. Turns out there are two thermostats...one on each head(sry, my firsty boat). A local boat shop told me that I should just remove them since it was an older motor, but later another tech said it was a bad idea cause the thermostats slow the water down which actually helps cool( doesnt make alot of sense to me but im no mechanic :)

So today i ordered new head gaskets,thermostats, Pcv, and all related gaskets so i can put this puppy back together. Hope to get her in the water for the first time soon.

QQ: The "overheat buzzer", how much warning does it give you in terms of degrees? I would like to think that it sounds when the motor is approaching overheat temp, but it's probably wishful thinking.

Thanks,
Andy